Friday, August 29, 2008

Three 3and Under---If List.....


I love "If Lists..." so of course I had to do one on this subject! Believe it or not, I survived my first full week of caring for the 3 kids by myself and love it! Does that mean it was easy or that it's not hard to find time to go to the bathroom sometimes? No. But what it does mean is that all of my kids are precious to me and I love having another one in spite of the work involved. I have found it to be incredibly stressful to babysit regularly for one or two extra kids in the past when I only had one or two of my own, but having 3 now that are all MINE is wonderful!


Here's my list! I'm sure I'll be adding to it as time goes on. After all, I've only been at this 2 weeks (seasoned moms of 3 or more are chuckling over what I have yet to experience!) Many of these things could apply to moms in general even if you only have one or two kids!


You Might Have 3 Kids 3 and Under If............


*You've ever been so busy you've "forgotten" to eat


*Before you are allowed to eat at any given meal you must fill 2 sippy cups, prepare and warm up 4 people's food one plate at a time, re-fill sippy cups, re-fill plates, nurse the baby, wash kids' hands, encourage toddlers to eat, pick food off the floor, and wipe your preschooler. Then, and only then, you can sit down and eat your food while holding the baby.


*You can do just about anything while you're nursing, including typing at the computer without missing a beat, cooking supper, reading, talking on the phone, going to the bathroom and doing it successfully, chasing after a naughty almost-2-year old, reading stories to your other kids, doling out a consequence for bad behavior, cleaning house, etc.


*You get comments all the time from random folks at the grocery store who say "You must be one busy mama!"


*You get sick of people thinking that you have a baby every single year just because the oldest is 3. In reality, they are all about 2 years apart.


*Your husband gets teased by co-workers about why he has so many kids.


*You are dubbed a "babymaker" by some of your relatives who don't understand why you like children.


*You have been either pregnant or nursing for the last 50 months!!!


*You have 3 adoring fans who love you more than anyone else in the world.


*You have 3 chubby little faces to kiss and cuddle all day long.


*3 three and under is a natural birth control. Huh? Both you and your husband wonder how some couples have the time and energy to even conceive a fourth.....


*In the blink of an eye you went from an economical college car to minivan full of carseats, from roller blades to a double jogger stroller, from a sporty mountain bike to a bike with kid cart attached, and from backpacks to diaper bags.


*You have unbelievable amounts of toys, even though you carefully rotate and don't buy many for your kids.


*Your storage shed holds baby paraphernalia in all shapes and sizes. You own all stages of carseats, swings, bouncy chairs, exersaucers, and slings. You have enough receiving blankets to make a parachute.


*Your doctor thankfully decides to skip the main spiel at the hospital about taking home a newborn and just reminds you of a couple of the biggies!


*Talking on the phone with screaming, crying, and whining going on in the background is normal for you so you don't even notice it and talk above it. After all, you relish a little adult conversation and if you waited until your kids were quiet, you'd NEVER talk on the phone!


*You have a secret energy source. Whether it's a Big Slam of Diet Pepsi, 10 cups of coffee a day, or a huge mug of strong Hot cocoa (this is mine), super vitamins (these help) or going jogging, you have found a way to keep yourself going.


*You don't sweat the small stuff anymore. In fact, you get a kick out of the first-time mommies who do, since you used to be them!

8 comments:

Lesley said...

Love it, love it! I'll soon be in that camp!

In case you haven't read my blog yet, yes I am home. And feeling quite sad about it.

But I'm glad to hear things are going well for you!

Our Home to Yours said...

I love this list Lindsey, and even though I have only two kids, I have had a bunch of those happen to me too!!! ;) I think it is a mom thing! :) So glad life with three is easy to adjust to for you!

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

This was great! I am one of those first time moms as my baby is only 2 months old. And I must admit there are days when I wonder how anyone can do it with more than one child as I struggle with just mine. I don´t know why I question though because I am the oldest of 8 homebirthed and homeshcooled kids. I sure have felt awed at my mom these past few months and I´m a little afraid for my sister who is expeciting twins with a 3month old baby but I know God´s grace is sufficient.

It has been hard to not get stressed out and to remember to keep my priorities straight. We are missionaries and always have a lot to do and travel a lot and I feel like there is so much I need to to before we travel again in November but I definatly don´t want to let the house fall to the wayside, neglet my husband or start laying fondations for parenting errors by not having time for my sweet bab or being to preocupied with other things to enjoy him and train him. Please pray with me ladies.

Thia said...

Amen. I vaguely remember eating a meal with my right hand (I am a righty). For some reason, it's always time for H to nurse on the right when it's dinner time, so I have to eat with my left. I don't think a stranger could tell that I am not a natural lefty. haha.
Is your middle child having a more difficult time that the oldest?

LS said...

Thia,

Neither of my kids have shown difficulty with the new baby. We thought that Jer would since he is such a cuddly Mama's boy, but he is too busy playing with trucks all day to really notice there's another kid around. Of course when that little guy can crawl and steal his trucks it will be another story!
I have difficulty with Ali always trying to touch the baby and smother him with hugs and kisses. She's not always gentle so I tend to be harsh about making her stay away from him unless I can watch her every move.

Rachel,

My heart goes out to you because i was once in your shoes. When Ali was 3 months old we were missionary interns for a summer and it was so, so hard! We were traveling, very busy, and I felt like a single mom since my hubby was often away. We were even homeless, and were staying with an odd couple in their dank and dark basement. It was soooo depressing and a big adjustment for me, having left a wonderful support group of friends to move 1,000 miles away.

I would just encourage you and your husband to make time together, to take things one day at a time, and to learn to say no to things that would stress your family too much. Babies need lots of routine and travel can upset those routines and exhaust you as well.
I pray that God gives you wisdom and strength to know how to manage your different roles and still glorify Him in all of them!
And just to let you know: one baby is definitely a full-time job! Don't feel bad that you are one of those "newbie moms" because we all started there and it's hard getting into the swing of things and being at someone's beck and call all day and all night. It's very challenging and there is so much to learn. It truly gets easier with each baby (at least for me!) Your mom must be amazing! I hope your sis has help as she will be doing a huge job with 3 babies soon!

Momma Bear said...

OMG what a great list and so true!
My oldest is almost 3.5, my daughter turned 2 Aug 9th and my newest is almost 5 months.

Going to the bathroom while nursing...got that one covered well! haha

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

Mrs. Jo, Thanks so much for the encouragement. We will be going to Honduras in November on a short term mission’s trip with youth from Costa Rica. Where is you brother at? We will be flying into San Pedro Sula but working in La Cieba. How neat that you sister-in-law is in India. India has been placed on both my husbands and mine hearts way before we met. We are just waiting for God´s timing. Do either of these missionaries have a blog or web page? It would be great to read about their lives and encourage them when I can. Have a great day!

Sarah said...

This list is so true! I have 3 three and under (my oldest was just over 3 when my last was born), so I totally know what you're talking about!

My favorite one is the one about eating. I'm pretty sure most dinners consist of me having just tasted my first bite while my husband and children are finishing up!

I look forward to reading your recent birth story when I have some time. (I found your blog via Crystal's blog and was intrigued by what sounded like a prodromal labor experience--an experience that prompted me to even start blogging in the first place.) I imagine I'll be in contact again once I read your story :).

Hope all is well and that you and baby #3 are thriving!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It