Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Three 3 and Under---Taking a Shower


The long hot shower I took in the hospital after my epidural wore off sure felt amazing! However it was a few days until I got another one because once we got home there just never seemed to be time for one! I have discovered as a mom of 3, at least for this season of my life, that I need to be very proactive about taking a shower or it won't happen! So, here's my game plan:


*Showers have been cut back to every other day unless I get covered in a really icky mess. I actually started this during my third pregnancy to save time and energy. I had read that too much hair washing actually made your hair greasier and so I "weaned" my hair from a daily shampooing to an every-other-day shampooing. It has been great for me all around in that my hair seems healthier, it's cheaper to be using half the amount of shampoo (but I get all my shampoo free from Walgreens anyway =) and I have more time as I'm the type of person who gets in hot shower and has a tough time getting out until the water turns cold! I'm sure we're saving on our electric bill too!


*Showers are mostly taken at night now. Because there is so much to do in the morning with getting all 3 kids fed, diapers changed, clothes on, and trying to just squeeze in a quick breakfast for myself and a chance to go potty, I have found that it is so much easier to take a shower at night when all 3 are sleeping before I go to bed. I don't mind sleeping with wet hair and being that my hair is long now I don't have to worry that it will wreck my style or dry in a crazy way. This way when I get up in the morning I can quickly fix my hair and get dressed without having to wander around the house in my pjs for half the morning until an opportune time for a shower comes along.


If by chance I miss my night-time shower and find myself needing one in the morning, I try to take it when Jer is taking a morning nap and have Ali shower with me while Justus sleeps, or let Ali watch a kid's movie for a little while and bring Justus into the bathroom in his carseat to protect him. But this is a lot of extra work so the night time showers work the best for this stage of life right now!


*The kids get a bath or shower almost every evening before bed in the summer time because they are always getting dirty or sticky outside. If I happen to shower when they are awake, they usually want to jump in with me, which keeps them out of trouble at least!

4 comments:

The Three 22nds said...

ah, yes. The shower. I insist on having one every morning, even if it means that there are 3 little boys running around destroying things. I leave the door open so I can hear any increase in screaming or the front door opening...

Lesley said...

the three 22nds -- I just really laughed at your comment! That is hilarious and just how I am too. I leave the door open while my girls run wild and I listen for any screaming that sounds different that the usual fighting over toys screaming. Or I also listen for complete quiet, which is also a bad sign. :)
Anyway, Linds, it sounds like you are doing great with three little ones and even though it sounds like a circus at times, it encourages me that I'll survive too when we soon become a family of five.
Thanks also for the encouraging verse and I hope you're right about the 28th!! I had painful, regular contractions again last night that eventually died off and I feel weird and achy in my pelvis today. Hope it's soon!

Thia said...

It's obvious to me that a night shower would be best, but I can't sleep with wet hair, I get sick no matter the time of year. That means I would have to blow dry my hair...I am too lazy for that! Plus the noise at night with the sleeping kids. So, I will just have to find the time during the day. I've done the every other day thing since number 2.

R Dvorak said...

Showering is a joy for every mom. I always had my infant in the bouncer seat on the bathroom floor, with the shower curtain cracked enough to play peek a boo. Then as the kids got older, I started to wait until Jonathan came home, so he could supervise them while I had a relaxing shower. Thankfully, now a half hour kid show is all I need to occupy them and get me cleaned and presentable. But I still look forward to a long shower on the weekend.

Enjoy this time. It is precious!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It