Monday, August 18, 2008

More Pics

We've found that Justus enjoys being swaddled and doesn't enjoy sleeping in his bassinet as much as sleeping cuddled up between us in bed, nose to nose or curled up next to my belly almost as if he were in the womb again.
Justus' personality so far is a lot like his sister's! I was picturing a very laid-back baby since he hardly moved in the womb and had me always wondering if he was still alive or if something was wrong with him. But now that I have met him I think he is not nearly as laid-back as Jeremiah. My milk has yet to come in so perhaps he will sleep very well and be more content then but at this point in time he is pretty opinionated, has a very loud cry and knows how to use it, and is a pirahna nurser like his sis was. He would nurse 24 hours a day if I would let him, hence the reason we push a paci instead of Mommy as the human pacifer! The nurse at the hospital dubbed him a "Drama King" because he was so offended with her for giving him a bath that afterward when she brought him to the room he was crying big, wet tears, sticking his lip out in a huge pout and giving shuddering, shaking sobs. It's always hard for me to hear my baby screaming while I'm laying in a recovery room and not knowing what they are doing. This is why King Jo likes to stay with the baby through the procedures and it helps me feel more at ease. I thought they were torturing him yesterday but the doctor came in and said he was just mad that the wet wipe on his poopy bottom was cold!
I thought pouting was a girl thing since Ali did it from the day she was born but Jer didn't, ever. Justus is a big-time pouter too though so that blows my theory! I can't wait to catch on camera his huge pouty lip stuck out!

Our biggest baby yet (and we were expecting our smallest!) He is short and stocky with huge cheeks and chunky thighs. I was totally expecting another really slim, long-limbed son with stick-thin little legs and the string-bean body Jer had but this guy is very round and short!

The nurse was asking protocol questions and said, "Is the husband of the mother the father of the baby?" King Jo teasing turned to me and said, "Well....?" I said, "Where else would he have gotten those ears!" The first thing we noticed when we held Alathia was that she had the little pinched-top, "ironed-on" ears that run in King Jo's family. Jeremiah got Mommy's ears that stick out on top. Justus has Daddy's ears too!
Justus and Ali's Cabbage Patch Doll are the same size!



I love showing off new babies so there will be a lot of pics here in coming days!

7 comments:

Thia said...

He's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your family! What wonderful news! He is sweet as can be! Give him a kiss for us.

Love,
Jeremy, Amanda, Ana & Abby

Anonymous said...

P.S. nice middle name. :)

Kristin said...

Keep the pictures coming! And how about the birth story, when you get a chance of course!

Another Ali, huh? Are you ready for that?! :-)

R Dvorak said...

He is beautiful. I am still in shock that you get to have him home. SInce I had all of my babies by c-section, I was in the hospital another 4 days after delivery. You are blessed to be able to be home and have your little bundle with you.

I loved having larger babies. Of course, my deliveries were different, I can't imagine pushing out a large baby. But I always found security knowing my baby was healthy and wasn't in danger of losing too much weight, etc. Plus, the chubby cheeks are darling. :)

Congratulations!

Our Home to Yours said...

I LOVE seeing the new pictures Lindsey!! They are darling!

Don't you love those protocol questions? I always feel odd answering them.. I had a ton of those in the NICU with Bekah.. even had one nurse excuse Josh out of the room and ask me if I was safe at home! The times we live in, to make all these "dumb" questions!

The Three 22nds said...

Since I am sure you have nothing else to do, I thought I would give you something to ponder :)

When we were having our first baby in Indiana we got comments like, "It is so nice to have a guy here with you that is your husband and the father of your baby! How refreshing!" The town was a very blue collar community with a depressed economy. There were a lot of teenage pregnancies etc. Also, my MD made a long, thoughtful presentation about circumcision. Only about 50% of boys in that area (not as much Scandinavian influence) are circumcised.

In direct contrast was my last two births- here, where the Scandinavian influence is huge and the economy of the suburbs is not so depressed. They were not surprised we were married and educated but as far as the circumcision thing went- they basically said, "he is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Sign the consent when you are ready!"

I asked the pediatrician about it- he said that although the tide is turning some in the midwest, it is pretty uncommon for at least caucasian boys to go uncircumcised.

I think that the cultural norms throughout our country are so interesting! What is the "cultural birthing norms" in rural Wyoming? (also, in Indiana the breast feeding educator said that 90% of women in that hospital get epidurals- the staff simply don't know what to do with someone who doesn't have one. That is definitely not the case here in the suburbs.)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It