Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lucky?

This post today, from Crystal at www.biblicalwomanhood.com/blog really hit home for me as a Stay-at-Home mom. You know from past "hot button" discussions here that I've heard comments about how staying home is boring and unfulfilling. Other ladies have said, "I could NEVER do it" as though it were too tough or challenging for them. And yes, like Crystal, I've heard lots of comments about how lucky I am to be a stay-at-home mom. But does luck really have anything to do with it?

Crystal writes:

I don't stay home with my girls because I'm lucky; I stay home because it's what God has called me to. God has entrusted me with two precious daughters to mother, nurture, train, and raise.There are plenty of other jobs out there--many with better hours and better pay. But no one else can take my place of being Kathrynne and Kaitlynn's mommy. And my husband and I are committed to make whatever sacrifices it takes to keep me home.It's not always easy but the sacrifices are very worth it.

It is truly a blessing to be able to stay home and one I don't ever want to take for granted, knowing not all women have that option. But conviction and planning would be better words to use than luck regarding WHY I'm a stay-at-home mom. One gal I used to work with was so jealous of the fact that I was quitting my job at the end of my first pregnancy. She would always make comments about the fact that she wished she could stay home too. I asked her if she had specifically looked for a husband who believed in stay-at-home moms and if she had married a man who desired that for his family. NO! Had she made wise financial choices and learned to be frugal wherever necessary in order to make her dream of being a stay-at-home mom a reality? I don't know, but most young women don't. Did she believe it was God's plan for her and trust that He would provide for them in order to make it on one income? I know I did, and He has! (The great thing is that now just a few years later my former co-worker is able to be a stay-at-home mom and I'm so happy for her!)

So, the next time someone throws out, "You are soooooo lucky to be able to stay home," perhaps instead of just nodding, I will stay instead, "Luck has nothing to do with it! We believe it's God's plan for our family and we watch Him provide and we live on a very tight budget in order to make it happen!"

No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It