Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Investing in Alathia



How is Ali liking preschool these days? Well, the other day, she enthusiastically exclaimed to me, "I LOVE preschool Mom!!!" She is so excited to get out of the door with Grammy that she hardly remembers to tell us goodbye! I love the things she is learning too! Everytime we go somewhere in the van she unbuckles her own seatbelt and then unbuckles Jeremiah and helps him out of his seat. She proudly says, "My teacher says we help one another." I guess when the teacher says it it's pretty cool as compared to when Mom says it! I've had a LOT less clashes with her in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure if that's related to having some time away from her when she's at preschool or our new napping arrangement but whatever it is, it is nice!
For the past month I've been thinking of ideas for teaching Ali to be even more independent.
What kinds of things are we working on?
*Letting her pour her own milk as long as the jug isn't very full.
*Making her get her own drinks of water by filling the cup in the bathroom.
*Teaching her to wipe herself (not going so well yet...)
*Talking her through a frustrating situation instead of immediately helping or fixing it.
*Continuing to have her clean her own messes/sweep up dirt on the patio from her endless dirt cookie making, etc.
*Having her load the dryer with wet clothes and load the washer with dirty clothes.
*Continue to have her do her daily chores (making her bed, picking up clothes, and cleaning up toys).
*Setting the table.
*Biking. Ever since she started pedaling around on her own on Father's Day she is now thrilled to bike to the park or the store while I push the double stroller!
*Folding towels and washcloths (and continuing her chore of putting laundry away).
*Carrying her dishes to the sink after a meal.
What kinds of things would I like to see her learn this year:
*Cooking more with Mama (she loves it but she's often running around outside burning off tons of energy when I'm fixing a meal so she doesn't get as much opportunity as I'd like her to).
*Learning how to spray down and clean the bathroom sink.
*Folding more clothing items.
*Learning to cut coupons out =)
*Taking out the compost bucket and dumping it.
*Sweeping things off the floor with her small broom.
*Help out in the garden when we are able to have one.
I'm sure there are many more things I would like to see her learn, and will see her accomplish but I'm drawing a blank on anything else right now. I'm amazed at how independent Ali has become already in just the last year and I'm excited to see her doing so much on her own. Of course an Amish girl her age could probably sew a quilt and make a pie by now, but for where we live, she's doing pretty good! I now understand how moms can survive having lots and lots of kids! There is a tendency to think they have 6 babies or 8 toddlers, but as they get to preschool-age and beyond, they start helping and actually doing things for themselves, which is nice!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I found your blog through Thia's :)

We're in northeast TN...though I'm from Maine, so I'm a transplant, lol. Where are you?

It looks like we have a lot in common. We're heading up to Minneapolis next week for the Desiring God conference! This will be our third year attending. Some couples go on vacation to island resorts...we go to conferences!

Thia said...

Life would be so much easier if Eve could wipe her own tush. That isn't going well here either. I have no idea what to do about it.
Part of the reason I am looking forward to our own home is increased independance for the kids. Dd can't wash her hands by herself downstairs b/c she can't read the faucet. And there is no bathtub down here either. I have to turn the water on for her and help. But once we're home...sigh.

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It