Monday, September 8, 2008

Books I've Been Reading


What fun to get my box from amazon.com in the mail! I was anxiously awaiting these books because I'm feeling (yet again) the need for some more insight and encouragement when it comes to parenting Ali. My friend Kristin highly recommended Raising Your Spirited Child to me and I'll let you know what I think of it when I read it! I've read through Don't Make Me Count to Three already since it was a short book and while it definitely had some good points, I felt more overwhelmed than ever after reading it. I realize that discipline is a heart issue but I was almost more confused on how to discipline biblically after I read it because I felt like she was advocating having a "Bible verse chat/counseling session" with the kid after every infraction. Yes, reproof needs to accompany the rod, but what mom has time in the day to whip out a verse for each of the 50,000 times a day her various children misbehave and have them "role play" the correct behavior? I think it's worth reading if you see it at the library but it's not a book worth buying. The author was heavily influenced by Ted Tripp, who wrote Shepherding a Child's Heart and I would rather see you buy that book (considered by many Christians the best book on biblical discipline out there). Most of what is in the book Don't Make Me Count to Three is featured in the 5 broadcasts done by http://www.familylife.com/ last week so go there and listen to her programs from the archives to get a good overview of her book.
The book A Little Girl After God's Own Heart is very cute and something I've been reading daily to Ali. She loves it and most of all I love the message it is proclaiming about having the fruit of the Spirit and being a girl after God. It has darling illustrations and is very feminine. I think my friend Heather recommended this one on her Favorite Book Friday feature on her blog.
Other things I'm trying to read: A Mom After God's Own Heart, Hints on Child Training, and a wonderful new recipe book I got with a gift certificate called, Betty Crocker Whole Grains. I also decided to break away from the parenting-book overload this weekend and read the latest Ted Dekker novel just for fun. His books just seem to get weirder and weirder, but he's another subject....
*From the books I am reading you would think I have a challenging child or something! =)

3 comments:

The Three 22nds said...

Is the new Ted Dekker one about a family or something and the dad has a decision to make? or something? I thought it looked too intense for me! Or maybe he has another one out?

LS said...

I'm not sure what his latest one is but the one I was reading was Saint, which is one of the newer, but not the very newest, ones.

Shannon said...

I love the Ginger Plowman book :) It has been extremely helpful! Have you gotten Ted Tripp's newest book? It's excellent!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It