Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Embarrassing Moments

I mentioned on here before how I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading embarrassing stories. I just get a really big kick out of them! Perhaps it is because I can picture myself doing most of them!

So, PLEASE share your stories with me this week! Even if you don't think they are that spectacular or embarrassing, share them anyway! I am dying to hear them! To kick things off, I'll share my own that come to mind. (How come it seems like the older you get the more you have???)

Mrs. Jo's Reddest Moments:

*In High School I tripped down a flight of stairs, sliding down them on my behind just as a crowd of cute guys were walking up them. They parted like the Red Sea to let me continue flying down them.

*My co-workers at the deli used to tease me about a guy that I really did NOT like, but they enjoyed giggling and making me squirm whenever I had to wait on him as a customer. One day they told him I liked him and I about died and was thankful that I was leaving for college soon after! I had a similar moment when I was 12 and my brothers told a teen guy from church that I had a crush on him! The sad thing was that I did, but had never told my brother that and would have died before admitting it!

*Since Ali won't remember this years down the road, I'll tell it for her! The other day she was jabbering as we took a family walk and she wasn't paying attention to where she was walking, as usual, and walked right into a post!

*If you are a nursing Mama, you have all sorts of opportunities for embarrassment. Such as: having your baby jerk the blanket off while you are nursing at a couple's Bible Study, going through the grocery store check-0ut only to find that your blouse is half-unbuttoned, discovering while you are running errands that your shirt is wet or has milk stains all over it, etc.

*Receiving a bouquet of flowers from my church on my 13th birthday while everyone sang to me. While this may not sound humiliating, for a very shy Jr. High girl this was the epitome of embarrassment!!!

*One job I worked while in High School was secretarial. My boss asked me to make a copy of something on florescent cardstock. He had intended for me to just copy the title of the section of papers but I copied the ENTIRE section on florescent cardstock! I was mortified when I realized the mistake and how much paper I had wasted!

*Trying to dig for change to avoid writing a check at yard sales. Why do I find myself doing this all the time? Of course no matter how hard you look you are always a few cents short and people feel sorry for you and say, "Just forget it! You're close enough!"

*There is one that comes to mind regarding childbirth but I will skip it because it's not that funny and the squeamish would find it to be an overshare! If one is extremely modest or private, one will definitely find childbirth to be an embarrassing experience!

*Here is an embarrassing moment that is not really mine, but one of my friends' (who shall remain nameless.) One day she was shopping with me in a VERY busy store where lots of people we knew worked or were shopping. I was a newlywed and was purchasing something only married people should buy. She was embarrassed to death. I left the cart to go get something else and she was standing by the cart when the embarrassing item fell off the cart right when some people were walking by. In her loudest voice she yelled, "They're not mine! I swear!!!" Of course saying this drew all kinds of attention to the item whereas no one would have noticed otherwise. I saw the whole thing as I was headed back to the cart and got a gut-wrenching belly laugh out of it!

*Along those same lines, I usually am not embarrassed when buying personal items but the last time I bought lingerie was quite embarrassing. I was buying it for a close friend's wedding gift and had gotten something really wild (...okay....so maybe it wasn't wild by city standards but it was about the wildest thing you can find in middle-of-nowhere-Wyoming). I tried to keep the lingerie hidden on the check-out belt but of course the cashier had to hold it up for a while and carefully fold it before putting it in the bag and two construction-worker guys were behind me, smiling in a friendly manner. They looked familiar, possibly friends of my dad? Of course I had my new baby with me (and my other kids were in the next check-out line with their dad) and was dressed in my usual long skirt and blouse (what my hubby calls "homeschooler clothing/style") so it was probably surprising to these men that I was purchasing such wild lingerie. I was so embarrassed just wondering what they were thinking!

Wheww! Now that I've gotten all of that off my chest, how about you?

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Okay, one of your suggestions made me think of one.

Back in December, we went to the mall to go Christmas shopping. I had just recently given birth and was nursing. (Sidenote: I really hate wearing nursing pads, so I never wore them.)

I decided to leave my jacket in the car so that I didn't have to tote it around the mall. However, I did find a really good deal on a new winter jacket at a store and I decided to buy it. I was just carrying it around in the shopping bag. As we were walking along, we saw a married couple we knew and decided to go talk to them. The girl made a bee-line for me and I thought "Wow, she's really excited to see me!" But then she whispered in my ear,

"I don't know if you know this, but you are leaking through your shirt."

I looked down and sure enough, there was a wet circle on my shirt in the obvious place!

I said, "Well it's a good thing I just bought myself a new jacket!" I grabbed it out of the bag and put it on right away.

My face was so red! My husband kept talking with the other husband, so the other wife and I just stood awkwardly by while they finished their conversation.

I wonder how long I was sporting the wet-circle look before it was brought to my attention!

Heather said...

Once a neighbor of ours was doing some work on our trailer for our landlord. We needed some new trim around our bathroom window, so he removed our curtain rod, cut some trim to fit, and nailed it on. It wasn't until he left that I realized the "curtain" was actually a sheer piece of lingerie! I was SO embarrassed and a bit relieved when they moved away!

The Three 22nds said...

Mine just happened a couple months ago. This is terrible.

Noah and I swim laps together at the Y. If it is not busy we each take our own lane. I wear goggles which have a tendancy to fog up some, and even if they are not foggy they do decrease the sharpness of your vision above water. I don't take them off until I am done swimming because I wear contacts and I am afraid of them falling out into the water. All that is my excuse.

Anyway, Noah was in the lane two over from me and when I came to the end of my lane I paused. "His" back was to me, and so I very cutely said, "hey you". And not like a policeman calling to a criminal "Hey you, come back here" it was more of a wife to her man kind of "hey you". He didn't turn around so I started to say something again and then to my horror, right as he was turning I realized it wasn't Noah! Some other guy (same color hair, same build) had jumped into Noah's lane and started sharing it when I was swimming!

I mumbled something, I don't know what and started swimming again. The sad thing was...he seemed really overly excited that a girl had been trying to get his attention.

Wow. How humiliating. I am just glad I didn't say anything worse then "hey you".

Anonymous said...

I also like to read the embarrassing moments, they make me fun everyday.

I recommand a website for you, I read the embarrassing moments everyday in the website.

http://www.yourembarrassingmoments.com

Kristin said...

Nate gave me permission to write about his embarrassing moment that he just experienced a couple weeks ago at work.

He was working behind the teller counter and at one point he noticed that when he moved, he heard a little jingling noise. He looked down and somehow the key that normally sits in the lock of his money drawer had come out, attached itself to the zipper of his pants and was just dangling there.

Not the prime place for an accessory!

Anonymous said...

I have a really embarrassing one related to my son's homebirth a couple of a weeks ago, but it might be too much information. It's pretty funny though and my friend got a picture...lol

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It