Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ballerina Birthday--Making a No-Sew Tutu

The nice thing about the ribbon tutus is that anyone can wear them.  Here I am modeling the tutu, since Ali won't open in until Thursday.

A fellow ballet mom shared with me how to make a ribbon tutu.  It took less than an hour (even though I had to cut my own strips since our Walmart doesn't sell the tiny rolls of tulle) and is so cute!  I love it!  I just need someone to give me some tips on how to keep it from getting wrinkled and squished up to smithereens since they definitely don't look cute like that (ask me how I know!)
You will need around 1.5 yards of ribbon and
5 yards of tulle
This will cost you around $6-$7 at Walmart.  Not bad for something so pretty that your little girl will LOVE!



Here's a great tutorial.  You can choose to use elastic (which is sewn together) or just use a thick and pretty ribbon, knotted at two points to hold the tulle loops on.  I went with ribbon since I've tried doing the elastic ones before.

2 comments:

TinaSue said...

This is absolutely darling! I absolutely love all your party ideas. Thank you for sharing! All my girls dance. My oldest is a helper for the K, Preschoolers and 5th/6th grade class at her studio and in return is able to take her 6 hours a week free. With her teaching experience, she is considering holding ballet camps this summer. (We have a sprung wood dance floor in our basement.) I think making the tutus for the final performance would be wonderful! Love the wands too! What super ideas. Your daughter will cherish this special day forever!

Niki Jolene said...

Now that is adorable, thrifty, and it even looks easy!

I am in love with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It