Friday, February 19, 2010

Angelina Cake

My first plan was to make a laminated picture to simply stick on the cake.  You can buy frosting cake toppers of characters but I didn't want to pay $10 for one online.  This was only about 50 cents to laminate at the local printshop.  However, I was thinking "mouse" when I colored it and forgot Angelina is white!  FAIL!  When my friend Tina suggested I trace a coloring page on wax paper with frosting to make an Angelina topper, I was excited to try it!  The laminated picture was demoted to front door decoration.


Here is my friend Tina's cake, which she did several years ago for one of her 5 lovely daughters.

All that I had on hand was whipped frosting (store bought) so it made a bit of a gooey mess but here is the final result of tracing a coloring page.  I thought I was supposed to freeze it to make it hard so that it would scrape off.  It turns out I should have just traced the outline of her, dumped it straight onto the cake and filled in the outline with other colors.  That's how Tina did it.

Instead I tried in vain to scrape the frozen Angelina from the wax paper with a metal spatula.  The legs, head and tail came off.  The body and tutu were a jumbled mess.
Here's my attempt at using decorator gel tube frostings to cover over the frozen whipped frosting Angelina.  I'm thankful the head and tail stayed intact because they were the cutest parts.

Here's what happens when you get halfway through your daughter's full first name only to realize it won't fit.  Should have stuck with her nickname!  I was out of pink base-colored frosting too!  Uh-oh!  FAIL!

Here is the solution to the problem.  Cover it over with MORE frosting!  I had thought about making a homemade batch of white buttercream to trim the cake with white lacy ridges but then I thought, "They don't need any more sugar!"  The cake is 2 9x13 layers, the bottom layer is strawberry cake, the top layer white.  I snipped a raisin apart with scissors to do the eyes and nose.

I did this cake two days before the party and have it in the fridge because I didn't want to be either melting down with stress on the day of the party or have a flop and no time to run to the store and get stuff to fix it.  Preparation is my key to party success!



For more Friday Fails, visit sweet Myra's blog here.

4 comments:

Cheryl@SomewhatCrunchy said...

I make special cakes for my kids too so I can definitely commiserate on how it is when things don't go according to plan. It turned out great though!

TinaSue said...

Oh, I think your cake turned out just precious!!!! I really love how you journal with pictures and your children will really cherish this as well. I bet Ali thought her cake was the most beautiful thing ever! I feel so honored to even be mentioned in such a sweet post! I saw your monster truck cake a few posts back. You should keep a cake scrapbook. Just think of all the cakes you'll have in there one day! We've done this. Now my girls plan and do the cakes for me (especially Christina who will be 13 in April!!!) I almost cried seeing that "Happy 6th Birthday!" Enjoy your sweet gal's 6th year. You have brought it in well :)

So Sunny Day said...

Just looked at all your ballerina party posts! CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!! I loved angelina the ballerina when I was a little girl. My favorite :) your posts brought back so many memories!

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Myra @ My Blessed Life said...

I think you did a fabulous, fabulous job at saving the cake! :)

Thanks for linking up to Friday Fails!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It