Monday, July 28, 2008

Fun With Beans



Thanks to Mara's post called "Cool Beans" I was inspired to let my kids play with beans tonight while I made supper. It was slightly difficult for them to share and Jer had some trouble dropping some beans on the floor, but overall it was a very fun activity for them and one I plan to whip out often in the future for a sanity saver during meal prep! Thanks for the great idea Mara!


The book Mommy, Teach Me mentions letting kids play with a tub of rice so that's another possibility for some variety. Also, a veteran homeschooling mom told me a few weeks ago that one of the best ways to keep little kids busy while older kids are doing lessons with Mom is to let them drive trucks and cars around in a tub of cornmeal in the kitchen. I like that idea as it would be a bit easier to clean up than sand!

2 comments:

Calina said...

I love your blog by the way. Your posts are so "real."

I think it's wonderful that you are trying to "invest" in your daughter. I, too have a "different" daughter. It's especially difficult after having had two easy daughters.

I wanted to add that my kids love to play in tubs of beans, rice, and macaroni. Any shape or all mixed together. My teen actually sat down with kindergartener to play. Kept their attention for an hour! Not only could they drive cars through it, they can make shapes, letters, numbers. You could give some plastic measuring cups and spoons, to practice measuring. We took clean, empty peanut butter jars and dish soap bottles and made shakers. The kids liked hearing the different sounds the rice, beans, and noodles made.

the momma said...

Try throwing a big sheet on the floor when playing with rice, beans, etc ~ makes cleanup soo much easier!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It