Saturday, October 27, 2007

What is Biblical Femininity Nowadays?


I so appreciated hearing this one hour message by Carolyn Mahaney, a famous pastor's wife and author. Here is the link:




If this link doesn't work, go to http://www.girltalk.com/ and look for the recent post relating to Carolyn's talk for her church's Friday Night Family Night on Biblical femininity.


The neat thing about her talk was how she explained a woman's unique role as a helper, not only in the context of marriage, but in the life of a young woman (teen), and single woman. I've NEVER heard anyone bring this word "helper/helpmeet" to light in context of the essence of a woman outside of marriage. I think I've heard a thousand people beat the helpmeet idea into my head referring to married women but not to singles. I loved the way she explained God's design for women and kept the cross central to all. There are a lot of Christian ideas out there proclaiming their "brand" or their "ideas" or their "doctrinal bents" of how to be a godly woman looks, but we must look to what the Word says above everything else.


She may not be the most riveting speaker, but the Truth she presented in her soft voice resonated with me and stung me where it needed to incite change.
Those of us with little girls desperately need to know what God thinks of and expects of women so that we can train them! Carolyn told young women to imitate their moms and consider them their "Personal Trainers in Femininity." Yikes, what a scary responsibility! A good reminder that my little girl is copying my every move and I need to be sure my example models God's design for women!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree! How scary it is for our girls to look at us. It never rang real true for me until my girl started school. She started in public school and the things she would come home with, I had to be careful not to jump the gun and blurt out what my sinful selfish person would say. I had to really think upon and ask for guidance and help at how to help her solve each and every one of her problems. To this day in the 4th grade now and in YOUR mom's class I still have to do the same when she comes with things other kids have said or done to her that she felt were hurting. It is so hard. She listens to everything I say and watches everything I do and I have noticed sometimes in her dealings with other people, I can kind of see myself. It is powerful and eye opening. I just pray that I can do the right thing by her and by God.

P.S. I am so happy I found your site. I have looked at your babies and I cannot believe the boy is a year old. It doesn't seem possible. What a sweet family you are. By the way, I found you through Jesse's sight, so blame him! :) Have a great day!

Kristin said...

It is a big (and scary!)responsibility placed on us as mothers to provide good examples to our daughters. I think about that quite often. I see Madison trying to imitate everything I do now, and I know there will come a day that she probably won't want to do that anymore. So I keep reminding myself that I really need to take advantage of this time when she is really watching and learning, and hope she continues to carry that on through her years of developing into a lady.

By the way, I love the picture of Ali!

Lyndi said...

What a cute dress and picture of your little girl! pretty fancy:)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It