Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Herbal Bath Recipe

My midwife Becky gave me this amazing recipe before I had my daughter at home. She emphasized over and over how beneficial it would be for me and she even started the first pot of leaves boiling while I rested up after the birth. Other women who had delivered at home and had used herbal baths highly recommended them too. I've used it after having both babies, even though my second baby was born in the hospital and we don't have an actual bathtub in our apartment here. These herbs are especially beneficial for healing cuts/tears and the urninary tract as well as the garlic being a natural antiseptic against infection.
You may smell a bit like garlic and it may be extra work for your hubby or your mom to help you make these 2-3 times a day, but I can guarantee you that soaking for 15 minutes a couple of times a day in a hot herbal bath does wonders for your body and your mind after the rigors of natural childbirth. I healed very quickly after my daughter's birth because I started them right away just hours after giving birth. Note: This herbal soak is also a natural way to get rid of hemorroids you may have acquired during giving birth! I have yet to try it for yeast infections, but I'm sure it would help some and is worth trying before pursuing antibiotic remedies.


Herbal Bath

It’s easier to buy the leaves ahead of time and mix them together in a big bowl or gallon size Ziploc bag so you don‘t have to individually measure them every day.
2 Cups comfrey leaves
2 Cups uva ursi leaves
2 C. shepherd’s purse leaves

1. Bring large pot of water to boil. Turn off. Add ½-¾ C. of the leaf mixture and ½ C. sea salt. Also add 2-3 fresh, crushed garlic bulbs (it’s much easier to just buy a jar of fresh chopped garlic and add 2 Tablespoons). Cover pot. Let steep for at least ½ hour. (Preferably a few hours or overnight).
2. Strain water through colander, mesh strainer, or cheesecloth. Save the leaves to use with the next batch for the next pot. Pour about 5 oz. Of the herbal bath into your peri bottle (a bottle used to squirt yourself off every time you use the bathroom) and fill the remainder of the peri bottle with water. Pour the rest of the pot into the bathtub after you have plugged the tub and add 6-8 inches of hot water.
3. Soak in tub 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times a day until healed.
4. Enjoy!!!
5. Use the saved leaves from the first batch in the second batch but then on the third batch throw out all the old leaves and start fresh. Save the leaves from the third batch to add to the fourth, but start fresh on the 5th, and so on and so forth.
6. What works nicely is if you or your husband put a pot on before you go to bed (but don't leave the burner on all night!) and then it will steep all night and you can take a bath sometime in the morning. Then after you finish your morning bath, you can put a pot on immediately after and use it in the afternoon or evening for a bath.
This recipe for one batch makes approximately 10 baths (5 days worth if you do two a day) and costs approximately $10-15.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Kandi gave me a bag that she had gotten (from you?) so I'll have to try it out after this birth. I tore pretty bad after Madison was born, so if I do the same this time around and this herbal bath is supposed to speed up the healing time - I'm all for it!

Patriot said...

Hi! I just came across your blog, and I wanted to let you know about a giveaway I'm hosting. I actually host a new giveaway every week for some great American made products. Come check it out when you get the time! Thank you!

Mrs. Taft said...

I received a bag of these herbs to use as an after-birth bath, but my mom and my midwife advised me not to bathe because of infection and something else...some sort of risk that can happen when your uterus is still clamping down and you are taking a bath. So I turned it into a sitz bath, and it felt so lovely.

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It