Thursday, October 18, 2007

Green Mountain Lava (Salsa Verde)

Neighbor Lupe has been at it again! Teaching me how to cook yummy things! Okay, so I admit I came up with the name Green Mountain Lava--because salsa this good needs a more exciting name than Green Salsa!
This was a double batch since I was making some for gifts so I bought a little over 2 # of tomatillas (in the produce section). I peeled the outer layer off of them and washed them and then put them in water along with 2 jalapeno peppers (average size). Cut the jalapeno peppers in half but be careful not to let the juice touch your hand. It's wise to use a rubber glove or paper towel when touching them. I learned this the hard way a few years back when I was canning salsa. In case you do get jalapeno burns, the only thing that really helps is dipping your hand in sour cream! After boiling for about 10 minutes, scoop out the tomatillas and jalapenos with a slotted spoon and stick in your blender. Important: Pull out the little center of your blender lid to allow steam to escape. Once again, I had to learn this the hard way a few years ago when making my own spaghetti sauce. (Boy, is this confessional time for me regarding kitchen disasters, or what?) If you don't pull out that little center, even if you think your sauce has cooled, but it hasn't, and you try to blend under pressure, let's just say you'll figure out how one little blender can cover your whole kitchen in hot spaghetti sauce within seconds!

Add 2 teaspoons fresh, chopped garlic, 2 t. salt, and 1/2 t. ground black pepper. Blend well. Taste it and see if you need to add anything else to preference. A little more salt? Want to experiment by adding some lemon or lime juice or cilantro?


Entonces, you are done! It's that simple! Once you've tried it, you'll be hooked!

Store in the fridge and use on top of nachos, enchiladas, tacos, or anything else that you think it might taste good on!

*This recipe makes a moderately hot salsa. I can't take super hot, but I like the hotness of this because it bites you, but doesn't make me choke or tear up. I usually need a glass of milk with it, but I like the heat, especially if I have a cold. If you want to make it hotter or milder, adjust the amount of jalapenos.

2 comments:

Our Home to Yours said...

Mmmm! This looks good! I've never used tomatillos, and always wondered what they are for. I mean I'm sure they have SOME use right? :) How fun! I want to try it... minus the spicy-ness tho'.. baby can't seem to handle that too well yet. :) Thanks for a fun post Linds. P.S. I've never heard that tip abt the blender, but I'm glad to know now! Sounds like something I'd do.. :)

Mrs. Taft said...

That looks yummy!!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It