Friday, October 12, 2007

Frugal Friday Tip

Disclaimer to all my friends: I'm not pregnant, just trying to give a frugal tip to women on an issue that's pertinent to them and often costs them a lot of money!

Frugal Pregnancy Tests
My husband and I have joked about how we should have bought stock in pregnancy tests! When I'm hoping for a baby, I'm very impatient and can't wait to find out "yes" or "no." So, I've gone through a LOT of pregnancy tests, sometimes because I test too early before it even shows up or sometimes because I'm psyched out in my head that I'm pregnant when I'm just experiencing bad PMS. Then, when I'm actually pregnant, I'm so excited I usually take about 6 tests just to make sure, even though I know the positive tests don't lie!
So, how does one get pregnancy tests cheaply when the average test in our town costs $16?
Having worked in a crisis pregnancy center I have learned all kinds of information about tests, hcg levels, etc. and I can heartily recommend the dollar store brand! A lot of the dollar store tests even detect 20-25 levels of hcg (pregnancy hormone) while some of the $15 tests you buy don't detect until 50-100 hcg. If you don't have a dollar store nearby, Family Dollar carries them for about $4. The Wal-Mart brand (Equate) for around $4 for 1, $6 for 2 is a VERY good one to buy! If you're addicted to peeing on a stick and it's taking a looooong time to conceive a baby and you want a LOT of tests for cheap, you can order test strips in bulk online for less than a dollar a piece. Just do a search on pregnancy tests.
Of course it would be MOST frugal to wait until you're a few weeks late and then take a cheap test, but who can wait that long?

7 comments:

Chris, Tasha, Dawson & Lainey said...

That is too funny! I am the same way, and always looking for the cheapest test! They are so pricy!! Probably cause they know most people are anxious if they are testing and they are going to pay to know!!
Thanks for sharing the tip! Don't know how many I took when I was pregnant with Dawson...just to make sure it was true!! :-)

AnneK said...

Hi, I came over from Crystal@Biblical Womanhood. Thank you for the tip. My husband and I have been trying for a while and I have spent quite a bit of money on these. I will definitely check out the dollar store and walmart online

Thanks!Annie

Our Home to Yours said...

Ha ha, that is so awesome! to think that the cheapest ones actually are good! I usually bought the equate brand myself, and with this new little one, it must have been to early even for them! But here we are 11 weeks along! :) I do think it is rather unfair to charge so much for a test, I agree with Tasha they definately take advantage of curious women!!! :) Thanks for the fun tip.

Sunshine said...

Great Tip!
When we were trying I purchased a bulk amount off of ebay and then shared with my friends that were also trying. I think I paid $20 for around 300 stick tests. (small strips with the red pad at the end).
We never ran out and they always worked.

Meredith said...

Dollar Tree(where everything's a dollar) carries both ovulation and pregnancy tests. They don't have the nice case that $15 tests do, but they work.

You can also order pregnancy tests in bulk for about $1 a test. My doctor confirmed that they are the same basic test used in his office.

Anonymous said...

I SECOND THE $1 TESTS AT THE DOLLAR STORES! MY MIDWIFE SAYS THEY ARE THE SAME AS EPT.sorry for all caps!

Fruganic said...

I am a loyal customer to Baby Creation. I too am addicted to testing! I usually buy the 25 pack of the dipstick kind. Here is the link to the ones I mean: 25 dipstick pregnancy tests for $9 including shipping!

No, I have no affiliation with them. They are just the place I have bought from I believe 3 times now. They also have ovulation tests which is great for those that are irregular and want to time it right! ;-)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It