Saturday, October 27, 2007

What do you think about activities for kids?

I've been thinking about this off and on recently as my daughter is nearing the age of "activities." Quite a few of the mom friends I meet talk about various pre-schools and classes for their kids. One mom I know takes her children to something every single day: swimming, Montessori school, music lessons, and she cannot wait to enter her in ballet. Her girls are 2 and 9 months! Many of my relatives are non-Christians and they spend every day and weekend shuffling kids around to things. When I mentioned I hoped to have four kids (or more), (which was shocking to them since they have the one boy/one girl mentality and I've already got a boy and a girl) , they chuckled, "Just wait until you have to taxi four kids around!" In my head I was thinking, "I'm not going to be a taxi mom! You CAN make choices about what you involve your kids in."

I'd like my kids to get exercise and I had fun as a child playing local league soccer. I am so glad my mom insisted I take music lessons so I have a basic knowledge of paino and classical guitar. I want my kids to have opportunities, but not be overwhelmed and stressed. I thought this article was really good:
http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/artman/publish/Teach_Your_Children_Well_17/Confessions_of_An_Anti-Soccer_Mom_23841002384.shtml

I'm a very active mom when it comes to taking kids to play dates and out for fresh air at parks when the weather is nice. When you live in a claustrophobic apartment with little privacy and neighbors over constantly, this is a necessity for sanity. I don't think it's wrong to do things, but to do things constantly and be spending all your time in the car isn't how I want to raise my kids!

Please leave a comment about what you plan to do for your kids at the various stages regarding the endless activities available.

Edit Notice: I changed the link. Hope it works now!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Hi Lindsey. The link didn't work for me.

I have thought about this subject as well because Madison is such a social and active child now, and I think she will continue to be so as she gets older. Nate and I have discussed that we would also like to present opportunities to her, but not force her to do anything. I would like her to take piano lessons at some point, if she wants, just to also have a basic musical knowledge. I took piano lessons for 8 years, and grew to not enjoy it. I wanted to just play for fun, not HAVE to play. However, I'm grateful for my musical knowledge. I can't say I'm an excellent piano player though, even though I took 8 years of lessons.

I'm not going to push preschool too early like so many parents do. We're still discussing whether or not we will homeschool so that will factor into the decision.

I also think it's ridiculous for parents to be running here and there bringing their kids to all the different activities. It's a lot of schedule juggling! So I guess, like I mentioned, we will leave the decision to join various activities up to our kids and not try to push them into anything.

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

We totally don't "run around" all the time with our children! We think that there does get to be too much for them in this already busy world! We vowed early on that we would never be the "soccer" parents (so to speak) and always be on the run from one thing to the other. As a homeschool family we quickly learned to prioritize our time and energy. My husband especially, is always aware of our girls and what may be just too much. We try to do outdoor activities either here at home, or with friends, but we limit how many different "things" we involve them in each week. It is a tricky subject that not everyone sees "eye to eye" on. I think that it just depends on the family...and what they feel is good for their growing family!
We really like the family time that we make sure we have time for each day. I am pretty picky about scheduling over top of our personal time together.
We didn't feel like we should push preschool to early. We see SO many children who are! We did normal things like learn colors & numbers, and recognize their own name, but I really feel that kids need to be KIDS! The season for learning comes fast and then they HAVE to buckle down and learn. I read an article once that spoke of children who were able to just relax and be kids. They enjoyed school much more, and actually did better in school when they weren't pushed at too early of an age.
I have enjoyed reading your blogs!

Mrs. Taft said...

I think opportunities can be great :) I'm the oldest of seven, and we all had at least two classes or functions throughout the year. The secret for any "soccer mom" is to carpool :) It is hard to run around, for sure, but my kids are worth it. The secret for bigger families, like mine, is to double up activities. For instance, my sister and I took ballet on the same day even though we weren't in the same class...my brother and I took cello and violin lessons in a group lesson, we also had the same piano teacher and our lessons were back to back. We all took German language lessons together. Things like that. :)

Currently my oldest is in ballet, and we participate in a homeschool resource center so she has Spanish class twice a week and an art class once a week. I wouldn't feel rushed adding another "thing" or two to this mix, but I like how things are right now. :)

Mrs. Taft said...

I should add, my two youngest brothers are still homeschooled, and attend the same homeschool resource center we do. So on Thursdays, after Spanish, there is a two-hour window of time before art class. My mom lives 5 minutes away, so we go to her house, have a lunch, and then I take my brother who also has a class at that time. It's multigenerational carpooling! :D I get a free lunch and time with my mom and siblings, and my brother gets a free ride!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It