Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sew Crazy #3--Fast and Frugal Apron Project

This darling shirt was a thrift store buy. I eyeballed it instead of trying it on (never a good idea) only to find that it was too tight/immodest to wear. I considered making the bottom portion into a simple and quick skirt for Ali, but she already has two new skirts I've made this week. So...I ran with a different idea that popped into my head...
I turned it inside out and sewed from the shoulder line down to the waist, thus cutting off the sleeves. I then trimmed them off. This is what it looked like turned right side out again.

Then I cut the back out, aligning it with the front neckline. I turned down the edge and sewed the neckline together on the orange trim.


I took a strip from the sleeve that had been cut off and made a neck strap. At first I just made an attached strap with no ties. But then the apron didn't come up as high as I liked, so I cut the neck strap in half and made it a tie-able strap that can be adjusted tighter or looser.



This apron is unique because it's extra thick (two layers of shirt) and it is made out of t-shirt material. A great apron for doing dirty jobs or washing dishes and keeping your waist dry!
Very frugal at the cost of about 25-50 cents for the shirt!
Stayed tuned for pics of some DARLING skirts I made for Ali and a tie quilt I'm making for Justus.





5 comments:

Kristin said...

Lindsey, you amaze me with your sewing capabilities! That is such a cute apron, and you were very creative to just come up with it without even a pattern. I don't think I could ever do that!

Heather said...

Adorable! I am so impressed at your creativity. I wouldn't have even thought of such a thing, and you did it from scratch!

I think we both have the same spring sewing bug. When I finished my Learner's Edge course, I finally allowed myself sewing time. That Sunday I sewed for four hours! I got sick of it toward the end--but it was so nice to be able to sew!

By the way, it's also okay to save immodest/tight clothing to wear just around your hubby! Doesn't work so well when unexpected company comes over, though. . .

Momma Bear said...

i love this apron cut idea!

Mrs. Taft said...

Awesome! I love all your ideas in these 'sew crazy' posts. This is very creative indeed!

LS said...

I agree with ya Heather, it's just the shirt was uncomfortable tight and I would have never worn it even as pajamas or something. Plus, I have a huge supply of pajamas to wear for my husband thanks to an enormous bridal shower in college before I got married! I couldn't wear it around the house. We always have people dropping by and neighbors out and about who could see in.....=)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It