Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Early Rising Experiment--Recap of Week One





It's been a week since I started rising before my children and all I can say is "WOW!!!" I am so excited about this new discipline in my life and hope to continue to make it a habit. I'll give it another couple weeks of experimentation, but even after plenty of challenges this week, I can already tell that it is a huge blessing to my life and one practice I hope to continue throughout my years when children are in the home, especially during the busy homeschooling years.

The Lord faithfully woke me up before the kids and I somehow managed to sneak out of my room without Justus waking half the time. A couple of mornings he was the one God used to wake me up and I fed him, put him down, and resisted the temptation to crawl back in my warm bed and instead headed out to plan, pray and read. Whenever we seek to draw closer to God it seems our enemy doesn't like it and sure enough, this week, Justus, who had been sleeping really well, had a few nights of continual wakings every hour or so which had me totally exhausted combined with my early rising and later nights. On Saturday, which I have given myself as a "day off" from the early rising and usual schedule, I was so desperate for sleep I fed Justus and then returned to the bedroom to hound my husband to get out of bed whining "Didn't we agree you'd get the kids up just one day a week?" Thankfully he let me sleep in until about 8:30a.m. and I caught up on some sleep and therefore survived the weekend. Adjusting from my night owl schedule to "early bird" schedule is difficult, especially as I have no opportunity for naps, but my body is making the adjustment and I feel absolutely ready for bed now at 10 or 11 which is unbelievable for me since I used to consider that an early bedtime (yes, even while pregnant with my third kid after a day with toddlers.) This 3-kid thing has really thrown my body for a loop! Juggling 3 sure has changed me whereas having 2 didn't in the area of bodily fatigue!

But in spite of the extra grogginess as I adjust to my new schedule and try to kick myself in the rear to go to bed earlier, this early rising thing is the cat's meow! It is amazing how refreshed I feel and ready to tackle the day when I've had time to think, time to pray, time to sit and plan out my day, etc. I feel less overwhelmed and way more productive. I feel more like a human instead of just a slave who is roused out of bed by her masters who are loudly demanding food. I can go potty in silence, have a cup of tea, and refresh my heart and mind before the clamor begins and when it does, I have a much more patient and "I'm ready to be your mommy" type of attitude. Today I even went into the kid's room with a big smile as I heard them stirring and waking up! The old-sleep-in-as-long-as-you-possibly-can-and-pretend-you-don't-hear-the-kids mommy would have never done that!

The extra planning time for my day has helped me to get more accomplished and work smarter. If I start the day with the kids yelping for breakfast, I can so easily forget this or that that needed to get done in the morning and if I try to sit down mid-morning and make my daily to-do list, I'm always interrupted and forget important things on it. Having silence has made such a HUGE difference! I suppose one could make a list the night before, but there is something about a new day and a new project that really gives me a big boost in motivation. By getting up early, I was able to start my yogurt batch earlier, eat breakfast with the children each morning instead of trying to wake up and get dressed while they eat, make a hot breakfast one morning, have a nicely cleaned off table to eat off of (which to me cultivates a haven-like atmosphere so much more than a cluttered table), and have things ready to bless my kids right away and save myself from hearing endless pleas for juice or cereal while I stumble around trying to open my eyes.

Getting up earlier has also helped give me a jump on getting showered and dressed right away and I'm finding time to even curl my bangs again! So, although I am a bit more tired, I think it's totally worth it and encourage those of you out there who want to have a smoother day to try joining me in the next couple of weeks of the experiment! As I mentioned before, this practice may not be the best if you are in a hard season of life that is physically draining.

Mrs. Jo's goals for Week #2 in this experiment:

*Weekends are tough because we often watch a movie together or have some couple time and always seem to go to bed way later than we should. Time to relax, talk and connect as a couple is way more important than "my schedule" but I want to balance them both so I don't feel utterly pooped on the weekends doing this early rising thing. I hope to combat the staying up too late by telling myself that I cannot get on the computer after 10pm and that we need to try to get the kids in bed and start date night right away instead of dinking around and doing chores or surfing the net looking for a good movie to watch for an hour. Planning ahead by choosing a movie the day before and getting the kids off to bed a little more efficiently (not reading to them for a half an hour before bed on date night) would help out in this area.


Next week I'll report on how I'm doing at getting myself to bed earlier. Please share how your first week went if you are participating with me in this experiment! Also, a question for any of my blog readers out there, "What is your biggest obstacle to overcome in order to start rising before your kids?"

6 comments:

Thia said...

Way to go! I am glad this is working for you. The biggest challenge I have is that the kids' often wake earlier now. Back in the fall, they often slept until 7, giving me an hour in the morning. Now, often, two are up by 6:15. Giving me 15 minutes which isn't enough. I don't feel I can get up any earlier and still function, so I am left not knowing what to do.

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

I have the same problem as Thia. This week has not gone so well as I have been tired on the days I could get up at 5 am and often baby wakes up with me. But I am trying to continue and I do seem to have more energy and a better attitude toward my day and everyone.

Thanks for sharing Jo.

God bless.

LS said...

Thia, so sorry about the early rising kids! And you too Rachel!


Here are some options for you:

*Do your planning/quiet time at night and accept that you will just have to get up with kids

*Move the kids' bedtime back an hour and see if they adjust to sleeping in an hour later.

*Make a rule that kids can't come out of their rooms until 7a.m. So, if they wake up at 6:15, have them look at books or do activity boxes or something quiet while you go have some alone time. You could also put a story tape on in their bedroom or let them listen to soft kid's music.

Heather said...

Rising early has been such a great tool for me as a homemaker & mom! I can say that I don't always do it, but when I do, it has such a beneficial effect on my attitude and organization for the day.

The times when I don't rise early are when I've gotten to bed too late--I consider it a trade-off worth making so I'm not too tired. Or sometimes when the girls wake up in the middle of the night several times, like last night--I shut off my alarm around 4:30, figuring I'd need the extra sleep.

After trying the wake-up-early routine, I love it and do it very often, but at the same time I don't feel guilty if I skip it either. We're all different--being a little more "loose" and less legalistic toward myself is one of the things I'm working on now. :)

Sorry if this is a little scattered--this morning I brought the girls to the clinic and had Kardelen's thumb x-rayed. It's got a tiny crack in the bone from a fall Sunday afternoon. She's been in pain and pretty emotional the last few days (understandably so). We're all just trying to take it easy around here, and my brain is in "recovering from stress" mode. :)

LS said...

Heather,

Sorry to hear about Kardelen's thumb! I've never heard of that kind of injury before!

I agree that we need to be flexible. While I love the benefits of getting up early, it may not work out all the time and on those days when I feel sleep is more important for my sanity after late nights, etc. I tend to be too loose with myself so I need to get my rear in gear a little more in this area of personal discipline. I'm glad you are learning to ease up on yourself and go with the flow of life! I've appreciated you sharing your thoughts on early rising in COF a long time ago!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Sorry I didn't check in yesterday :)

Early rising has been going well for me. I quickly realized I wasn't cut out to exercise in the morning. Instead, I wake at 6:00 (or 6:10... let's be honest!), get up, shower, get a little ready, head down to do devotions, respond to any e-mails I got overnight, and look over my list of things to do for the day. I head back up and finish getting ready and by then my hubby is rolling out of bed and the kids are starting to pour into the room. By the time they get their clothes on, I'm ready and we're heading down to breakfast around 7:30! Perfect!

My early rising has meant we get an earlier and smoother start to the day. We even started school 1/2 hour early today, which meant I had some extra time to clean up and reorganize things in our school room!

Now if I could just get to bed earlier. I've been a bit on the crabby side the past few days due to lack of sleep....

~Phoebe

P.S. - To answer your question from last week, I'm in MI :)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It