Thursday, March 26, 2009

Birthday Recap

A part of me hesitates to share my gift here because I don't want anyone to feel bad. I want you to know that if you are a friend who doesn't get give me gifts you are no "lesser" of a friend. I don't expect gifts from my friends and don't want anyone to feel obligated. I also don't want anyone to feel bad because I got a gift from so-and-so and others may not have. Because I love being gifty and finding creative, new ideas for gifts, I do want to share them here to give my readers ideas. I was truly humbled by the gifts I received this year.Justus was a major fuss-bucket all morning on my birthday. He's our easiest baby and yet we both agree he has the shrillest, most glass-shattering scream of any baby we've ever heard when he's worked up. I think he's teething. I tried my Ergo in the side-hip position for the first time on my birthday and he seemed to like it.
Unlike my friend Kristin's daughter, my daughter wasn't into taking pics yesterday so I had to self-time and that's why they are kind of blurry.

My sweet sis-in-law Kandi made me these quilted hot pads and sent me a funny card saying that even though we are getting older we will always be major babes. I got this and the gift below in my mailbox right on my birthday, which is suprising since the mail can take anywhere from 4-8 days between here and MN.











Heather of Bless Your Family sent me this cute and classy apron she made using this tutorial.
The funny thing was that a week or two ago she did a post on aprons and I recommended this link to her as a fun gift for someone since it supposedly takes only one hour to make. She had already seen the link and was already planning to make one for me! I was so excited to get it since I have been "meaning to" make one for myself and hadn't gotten around to it yet. She did the work for me! Thanks SO MUCH!






My friend Shiloh had her butler, (okay, so he was actually her husband) deliver this wonderful batch of goodies. A vintage handkerchief in a spring bucket with a fragrant candle and dove chocolates tucked in there, some fancy paintings from her kids and a plate of delicious chocolate cookies. I seriously think Shiloh is turning into Monica before my very eyes!




My exercise and calorie accountability partner Amy got me some low-cal candies and some Acai pills! Acai is supposed to be a super-antioxidant that gets your metabolism going. I'm trying to lose that last stubborn chunk of baby weight!






My folks gave me some daffodils and a sweet card with some spending money and 3 great coupons!





The coupons are for:
A morning of watching Ali and Jer so I can have some "Justus time" during Mom's spring break coming up in April.
Watching all 3 kids over the supper hour so we can go on a dinner date sometime
A subscription to a health magazine
My in-laws fulfilled my long-time dream of making my blog into a book at www.blurb.com I have had some fun playing around with the program. However, I quickly realized that if I publish all of the posts I want to publish it would make a VERY expensive, and not to mention BORING-BECAUSE-IT'S-TOO-LONG 400-page journal! I decided to start by doing my Kid's Funnies posts into a small, inexpensive book for $5. I hope to order my in-laws a copy too and maybe some of the other grandparents. Then, I may combine some of my family posts or mothering adventures into other books. I'll probably have a little leftover to buy clothes or something too! This site offers some great opportunities for those of you who hate to journal by hand or scrapbook but love to blog! Preserve your memories in a book written by YOU!
My hubby asked me if I would like to have some surprises this year or some cash to spend. Since we've had tight times I requested cash so I can get something I really need or really want at this time. I think he was relieved that he doesn't have to wrack his brain to try and think of the perfect gift this year! He got me a sweet and romantic card and took me out to supper the night before my birthday. We hadn't been out to eat in a couple of months and so it was so fun to have a delicious meal that I didn't have to make or clean up and silence to savor (the kids were at my parent's house). We had garlic chicken alfredo pizza and homemade breadsticks with nacho cheese sauce and got out of the restaurant staying under our budget of $15! Then we went back to my parent's house for fruit pizza mom had made for me.

Two of my friends really shocked and humbled me. I don't mention them here because of reasons listed above. They don't normally give me gifts and this year they really gave above and beyond and I felt like saying, "No! You need that money more than I do!" One friend gave me some spending money and another a generous gift certificate for some flowers and plants. I am truly grateful and thankful. It will be fun to buy some flowers in a couple of months and fill up the flower beds outside our little house and make things bright and cheery!

Ali woke up and bounded into the kitchen to tell me, "It's your birthday! You're 57 now!" I told her it was actually 27, so later in the day she got into a drawing mood and drew me about 4 different birthday cards folded up in envelopes. I would open the paper to find the whole page covered in A's, L's and I's. Then she would tell me, "It says, Have a Wonderful 20th Birthday Mama. I love you! Love, Ali." It was very cute and I'll be saving those for life!
I had a great birthday in spite of the continual whining, fighting, shrill screaming, and demands of my kids! I don't remember ever receiving so much spending money before so my mind is spinning with ideas. Should I revamp my wardrobe? Save for a Whisper Mill? Buy some quality earrings that don't tarnish after a few wears? Buy some expensive walking shoes? Buy some composting supplies? Order some fun patterns at Marie-Madeline studio? Buy a bunch of fun fabric for craft/sewing projects? Buy some cute accessories to perk up my outfits? I guess time will tell! The great thing is that after having gone over a year since seeing a Target or a mall, we will be going to the BIG CITY next Monday and Tuesday for King Jo's "hardware removal" surgery. So, I'm sure I'll find options for spending my birthday cash!
(After typing this ENTIRE post last night and scheduling it to post this morning, the entire thing disappeared and I had to re-do it!!!! That's never happened before. I guess auto-save wasn't working last night.)







4 comments:

Unknown said...

No, yesterday "butler" would be a good assessment. Today I am her acting grounds maintenance crew (see snow shoveler). Glad you had a good birthday.

Heather said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday! You've been such a blessing--it's so nice to see your loved ones blessing you in return.

P.S. I thought of coordinating the apron with the hot pads Kandi was making, but ended up using different fabric. It would have been fun, though! (I had a hard time finding fabric I knew you would love, so I tried to do something a little modern like marie-madeline aprons. I hope you like the colors!)

Shiloh said...

I am so glad you had a good birthday I love your apron! It is so cute!

Mrs. Taft said...

Your friends are so kind and generous!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It