Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sewing Show and Tell

I've been sewing a lot this week. Justus has outgrown the smaller pocket diapers from our stash so I've been sewing some more diapers for him with fabric and supplies I had in my fabric bin. He and Jer wear the same size now (though Jer just wears them at night and sometimes naps now)--Justus is very stout in spite of being "tiny" and Jer is a beanpole so somehow they both fit in the large size!

My friend Amy liked Ali's polka-dot skirt so much she asked if she could hire me to sew Arianna a little skirt. I had a ball plotting it out and making it! Sewing for little girls is fun, fun, fun!



Here's a skirt I made for Ali using two, heavy-duty dishtowels. It's a sturdy skirt that will hold up well with her active lifestyle! I love the polka-dotted red ribbon. This skirt literally took 30 minutes to make since the towels were already hemmed on bottom and top!






Here's Arianna's skirt. I loosely followed some measurements for a skirt I found online, only to later discover I think I made it twice as wide as it was supposed to be (since the tutorial I was looking at wasn't clear whether the width should be measured from end to end or from the fold to the end.) Basically it's a piece 9 inches high and 28 inches wide from the fold and the second layer (the ruffle) is 6 inches high and 34 inches wide from the fold. It is nice and flouncy and Arianna ADORES her "princess dress." The fun ribbon was a thriftstore freebie I got a long time ago. I made matching socks and hair bows to go with each skirt from things I had on hand.






Ali models Arianna's skirt for me and gives me her "mad" look!




3 comments:

Heather said...

Arianna's skirt is ADORABLE! I love the colors you used. Where did you get that stripy fabric at the top?

Sarah said...

I love that second skirt! What an eye you have for things that go together. If I had made this, it would be very "matchy," boring and ugly. How do you know which things pair well? I would have never guessed, seeing the fabrics separately that they would work so well together. Is it innate, or can this eye be trained?

LS said...

I got the fabric at Alco. They have some new fabrics in for spring.

Sarah,
I held different fabrics up next to each other in the store. I get a lot of inspiration from the skirts I see at the site: http://www.mariemadelinestudio.typepad.com/

I think when you make a habit of doing crafts and looking at other people's crafts, you train yourself to have an eye for color and styles. It's not innate, although I think motivation and love for crafts might be!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It