Monday, February 23, 2009

My Test Cake

What little girl wouldn't adore a cake like this?
Carsen and Kennedy were over when I decorated the cake and they thought it was great fun to watch and lick the frosting off the utensils I was done with.
Of course the day after Ali's birthday I discovered a new blog, which I love, and this cake! So, next year we are going to make this cake for Ali's birthday (she's already declaring it will be a princess party for all of her friends!)







I wanted to share this link with all of my friends since many of you have little girls out there who would love a cake like this too! She has a video tutorial that's very informative on how to make this. I used a couple of oven-safe glass bowls to make the dress.





One of my friends and I were talking about this cake and she mentioned it would be a cute bridal shower cake and then it hit me, I am having a shower for my sis-in-law to-be next Sunday! So, I don't have to wait a year to have an excuse to make it. Hence the test cake above! It was fun to do and I'm sure I'll get better as I do more of them. I made it longer and taller than The Happy Housewife's cake in order to more closely resemble Anna's wedding dress. I'm hoping to do the real cake for the shower in chocolate instead of white cake and with an all-white dress and with a barbie that more closely resembles Anna (with a veil on top of her head of course!) My brother just can't understand why we ladies get into stuff like this!







This cake cost me around $4 to make (including the dollar store barbie) and it yields about 10-12 pieces. I know it looks really slim, but it's actually made with two cake mixes!

5 comments:

Momma Bear said...

oh my gosh it's awesome! It looks fun to make too. I think I'll make this for Nora's birthday in August when she turns 3. Thanks for sharing momma!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did an awesome job on the cake! It is beautiful! I love it!
Toni

Kristin said...

My grandma made me a birthday cake similar to this one for one of my childhood birthday's. I thought it was so neat!

Your's really turned out nice. It's a great idea for a bridal shower!

the momma said...

hey there - books are (finally) on the way - with the xception of Family Driven Faith, which my hubby (who isn't a reader!) started reading - so that'll come later. much later.


this cake will be wonderful for a wedding shower!

Our Home to Yours said...

Oh Lindsey!!! I was just thinking of trying to find out how to make a cake like this for Leah's upcoming birthday.. what a fun thing to post!!! Thanks so much! I had one of these cakes when I was young, and it was my favorite cake!!! Plus it looks so easy!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It