Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Three 3 and Under--Getting Exercise


I'm at the stage where it can be challenging just to go to the bathroom, so exercise hasn't taken a major priority! However, here are the ways I try to get some exercise with 3 little ones 3 and under:
*Going swimming on Friday mornings. The kids run off energy and have a lot of fun and Mommy enjoys chatting with mom friends and soaking in the hot tub as well as swimming around in the baby pool with the kids.
*Going for walks. I often combine errands with walking since we are smack dab in the middle of town so almost everything is within 2 or 3 blocks including our bank, the thrift store, the grocery and movie stores, and friends houses and the parks are within walking distance too. It's a major workout to carry Justus in his Ergo and push the double stroller full of 63 pounds of kid!
*Doing my stretches and neck exercises a few times a day and having the kids try to do them with me. The main ones involve being on hands and knees so I will sometimes put Justus under me so he can look at Mommy while she does her stretches.
If I had the energy I could go to my parents' house and use my mom's brand-new fancy treadmill, but I haven't done that yet! How do you all work to stay in shape while being a busy mom?

5 comments:

sbpaulson said...

Brad and I decided to give ourselves a early Christmas present, the Nintendo Wii. Believe me, it definitely gets you moving. We also bought the WiiFit, the fitness "game". That is really challenging. We wouldn't have gotten the WiiFit but my health points from work will pay for it! Good luck in finding ways to keep fit with 3 kids! :) Sounds like you are definitely finding ways to do it!

The Three 22nds said...

It's funny, but I increased my exercise with every kid. My first son I did ALOT of walking because he loved his stroller. I probably walked 3 miles a day with him.

Then, when my 2nd was 4months old I joined the YMCA and did the ellipitical and weights.

After Lincoln I started to run. And now I run, bike and swim. I have cut way back right now because I just did a race and now I need to establish some new goals and routines. Right now I am only working out 3-4 times a week, but I am planning to increase to 5-6 x a week again soon.

I know the Y is not worth it for everyone, or possible for everyone, but it has been a HUGE BENEFIT to me and it is one thing I never regret spending the money on.

Rachael said...

I am all for the YMCA. Our health insurance provider pays for 2/3 of it, if I go 4 days a week, and they have an affordable child care for the babes if Casey isnt home to watch them while I go!

Heather said...

Jacob and I have started to work out together again, so we try to get up early 3 days a week to do that. It happens most of the time. :)

Also, on cold/rainy days when I can tell the girls need exercise, we put on kids' music that incorporates movement, and we also dance with homemade ribbon sticks (will be a future post on my blog). :)

Thia said...

I would really like to start walking, but to do anything, need to do more and faster than the pace my kids go at. I am hoping a treadmill is in the future. I am watching freecycle and craig's list...

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It