Thursday, October 2, 2008

30 Day Countdown

When we first met them Ali was still pretty tiny! They all crawled into her crib one day and started sucking on her pacis, pretending to be babies.



I had originally planned to write this post on Oct. 1st but since I was so sick I couldn't even eat or check e-mail, I didn't get it posted until today. There are 30 days left with our difficult neighbors! Yeah Hurray! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't overjoyed. Especially since we discovered several new scratches on our new minivan that look like the work of Fernanda and Frida.





But, I'd also be lying if I said I won't miss them a bit. I have truly enjoyed much of the friendship our families have shared over the past couple of years. When Lupe and I first met neither of us had many friends so we spent many hours chatting in Spanish and swapping recipes and teaching each other to cook our country's foods. I've always known that if I need help or am in trouble I can go to them and they've obviously proven that they feel the same about us! They are very social and lively and we've enjoyed their wild pinata parties at every birthday and the big neighborhood pool parties every summer.





Even though we are glad that our kids won't be around them anymore because of their influence (last night even their mom said she couldn't stand them and going to work everyday is a vacation to get away from their screaming and fighting....) we will miss them and I want our friendship to end on a really good note. So, I've decided to think of 30 things I can do to bless them during the last 30 days with them.





1. Print off that bread recipe Lupe wanted.


2. Let the girls have a tea party with Ali with fancy dishes.


3. Have the girls over for one more dancing-in-ballerina-outfits-to-classical-music fest.


4. Print off my cookie recipe for Lupe.


5. Start compiling a scrapbook of photos of our kids having fun together.


6. Work on the scrapbook.


7. Add Bible verses in Spanish in the scrapbook.


8. Finish the scrapbook.


9. Wrap the scrapbook up nicely with all of my favorite recipes for Lupe.


10. Spend time just chatting with Lupe.


11. Take them one of the American foods they have enjoyed that I make.


12. Make them some cinnamon/chocolate cookies before they leave.


13. Have Ali help me buy/make them a little travel activity that the girls can play with on the long drive to Mexico.


14. Get their address/e-mail address and save it.


15. Purchase one of the bikes they want to get rid of (a friend of mine can use it for her son)


16. Highlight some verses in the Spanish/English Bible that have to do with salvation.


17. Wrap up and give them the gift Bible.


18. Let the girls use paints at our kitchen table.


19. Share a cup of Mexican cocoa and conversation with Lupe.


20. Transfer their laundry from the washer to the dryer for about the millionth time!


21. Surprise them one day by folding their laundry.


22. Buy some postcards of Wyoming and stick them in their scrapbook.


23. Sit out in the yard and chat with them like old times.


24. Let Lupe have her fill of holding the baby and cuddling him.


25. Have Ali draw the girls some special pictures as a reminder of their friendship.


26. Have a sing-along with the girls and review all the Bible songs we've taught them.


27. Go over the wordless book with Fernie and Frida.


28. Offer to watch the girls while their mom runs a quick errand


29. Invite them to do something fun with us (park or swimming or a walk, etc.)


30. Give them lots of hugs.





Someday we may just go visit them in Mexico! They'd be thrilled and it would be a fun vacation. God truly answered my prayer a couple of years ago when I asked Him to put us in a place where we could be a witness and a light to our neighbors. I had no idea how hard it would be or how much it would stretch me, but I think I have gained a lot from the experience. Maybe God is preparing us for overseas ministry someday! Whatever the case, I hope with all of my heart that our neighbors come to Christ and were pointed to Him through our friendship.

1 comment:

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

I know that it has been hard for you to live next to these neighbors and probably wasnt´t what you had in mind in praying that God would put before you a situation to witness. But I think it has been a blessing to you and I know it has to them even thought it may not look like it now. You had a great idea for the last 30 days you will have with them. I will be praying that God will give you extra patience and grace during this time and that he will give you the prayers to pray for them as you are working on these gifts. God bless you for your loving and serving heart.

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It