Friday, October 31, 2008

An En Gedi Bedroom #2

Inspired by Heather's work on her bedroom, I decided to clean up our majorly messy bedroom and re-arrange this weekend. My husband was gone logging so it was very challenging to move the bed myself, but I love the results. Our bed used to be up against the window, leaving a little room on either side that quickly got piled up with junk and clutter. I cleaned out our closet and was able to stash a lot of things in our bedroom in the newly organized closet. The view from the entryway. I made the wild curtains (out of a huge wrap-around-skirt in tropical print) when we first moved in. Justus has his little bassinet in the corner, with a baby quilt I made a few years ago hanging behind for his "baby corner." He's starting to sleep mostly in his bassinet at night and sometimes naps there too.
My corner. I have to be very careful what I put on my nightstand since Jer naps on our bed and will reach over and get into stuff sometimes. Eventually I would like to re-paint this little dresser a different color. It was a yard sale find a few years ago and now holds baby things. It's hard to see from the pic but I have a couple of little posters on the wall ( a mom kneeling in prayer and a name plaque with a verse). The pillow was a gift from my mom. She made lots of little pillows out of an antique, family heirloom quilt and gave a pillow to all of the granddaughters and great-granddaughters.

The junkiest, most cluttered part of our room is a couple of feet beyond the foot of our bed. This is what it looks like straightened up! Because of our tight quarters, I couldn't get it any neater as I store my craft things, our bills and important papers, file our mail, store our books, our cards and art supplies, and all my medicine freebies from Walgreens here. This is our pantry and "office" and paper/art cabinet rolled into one. The large basket is filled with kid's books and we need to keep it out of little fingers' reach so the books are kept intact. We have some sturdy board books we let the kids keep in their room but this is how we maintain our nice books. The white smudge on the dark dresser is actually from when King Jo was a little boy and covered the dresser in stickers!
In order to break up the dull monotony of the really dark, oppressive walls, I hung this lacey, sage-green shower curtain behind the bed. I was using it in our living room but took it down to brighten up the living room a bit. It was a Wal-Mart clearance rack find. The imitation-down quilt is soft and poofy and was a like-new hand-me-down from a gal in my Bible study. I've always wanted one and I love this style of comforter. We do have a couple of other nice bed quilts that are hand-made that we can use to change the look of our room. White isn't the best for having little ones around and for a hubby with a dusty job, but at least white brightens up a very dark room.

On King Jo's nightstand: A picture of us on our wedding day and a small alarm clock.


King Jo's dresser was stacked high with junk, papers, and snowmobile helmets. I cleaned and straightened it and put the helmets in the closet (which is to the left of this dresser and has closing doors).

This pretty autumn swag was $1 or less at a yard sale this summer. It adds a homey touch to my side of the room.

I've always enjoyed photography, and like Heather, enjoy decorating with it to personalize the room. A pic of King Jo washing my feet on our wedding day reminds us to serve one another in our marriage.
What's next?
I'd like to copy Heather's idea of framing some verses from Song of Songs to add to the walls. Eventually I will refinish the two old junky dressers and paint them a pretty color. If we see some satiny sheets on clearance around Christmas time we will buy them as we only have cotton sheets and they are getting very threadbare.
When we have a home of our own, I can't wait to choose paint colors and coordinate curtains! My friend Shiloh recently got to do that, in remodeling the home they bought, and she has a pretty caramel-colored room with cream trim.
*The log furniture was a wedding gift as my dad is a log furniture builder.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love seeing the pictures of your room! The picture of Josiah washing your feet at your wedding is such a good reminder to keep serving one another.

Have you ever thought of sewing "curtains" for your bookcase to get everything out of sight? It worked for a bookcase in our living room. We just bought a cafe curtain rod and used scrap material, but it really hid the clutter well.

I love how your green shower curtain draws interest to the bed and really does break up the paneling!

I like Shiloh's paint colors. My friend just told me yesterday, jokingly, that all of her paint colors were foods! I remembered that when I read Shiloh's colors. :) Sounds yummy to me!

Great job, Lindsey!

Randall and Rachel Beita said...

Thanks for sharing. We live with my in-laws now (actually my husbands niece lives there too) and so basically our room is the only space that is truly ours and that I can decorate in. Since I also so all the house work our room often gets left till last (I also have a 4 mo. old and when he is taking naps it is the only time I am able to accomplish anything so it is not a good time to clean our room). This has encouraged me to do better. Maybe I can let baby lie on the bed and play while I keep it picked up. I wonder if my husband gets just as discouraged as I do when I walk in the room. It is very small and since this is all the space we have there is barely room for our bed and the babies’ pack and play crib. We do have a nice closet though and I really need to organize because when you open the doors stuff falls out or is piled and hung everywhere. Sometimes I long for our own house just to be able to decorate as I wish and know that when I clean it will stay as I left it. But I try to remember to thank God for our room and trust his will and timing for a house for just our family. I think I will work on our room this month and post pictures on my blog.

Lesley said...

Great job, Lindsey! Your room looks great and you've added so many homey touches! You're so creative and good at working with what you have to make something look really nice. It inspires me to work on our room. There's not much I can do about the pea green shag in there for now but I could do something to make it look better I think.
I wish I knew how to sew because I really want to take down the awful looking drapes that were left in our room and put something nice (but inexpensive) up. I should start browsing clearance racks maybe.
Anyway, good job and thanks for the inspiration! :)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It