Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Small Tribute to My Husband

I say this is a small tribute because I don't have the time or space to share all the wonderful things about my husband in this post but I will share a few.

I honestly believe that my Josiah is the most wonderful husband on the earth for me. (I had to add that "for me" in there because I know many of you feel your husbands are the best on earth too!) It's like God hand-crafted him to be exactly the man I need to lead me, care for me, and challenge me in my walk with God.

He knows everything about me and still loves me, even when I look like death warmed over in the morning after an all-nighter with a baby or have tried to hurt him in anger with my words. He lovingly cares for and supports me in everything, from fears and worries, to trials and temptations. He is always kind, always forgiving, never harsh, never controlling and never lording his authority over me. He truly loves me, as best as a sinful human being can, as Christ loves the church.

A note to single girls out there: When it comes to evaluating a guy for husband-material don't look at the flashy, popular guys who are into themselves and into money and having the best. Don't desire a guy just because he's the star quarterback or because he drips with charm. Many of those guys come to ruin, or at the very least, aren't fun to be married to. The best quality you can look for in a husband is a man who loves the Lord and walks closely with Him and has a teachable and repentant heart. Sometimes these guys are really shy and quiet and don't stand out in a crowd. They may not have the coolest cars, or be able to afford the biggest diamond but they will love you with all of their heart because they love Jesus and follow Him. It's infinitely worth it to have a wonderful husband and a wonderful marriage than to chase after the things of the world and pick out a spouse based on the world's values. Among Christians, I have heard many a single gal say: "I want to marry a pastor or a missionary." While it's wonderful if God leads you into ministry with your spouse someday or brings a pastor-to-be a' courtin', don't overlook the guys who aren't in the ministry vocationally because having that position doesn't guarantee that a man has character or that marriage will be wonderful. We spent a summer of our marriage in missions and let me say it was very hard because of the travel and the constant work and needs. The ministry can be rough on a marriage if the husband doesn't work continually to keep his priorities in place.

So, look for a man who loves Jesus and follows Him and you will find it easy to respect and follow such a man.
I thank our Sovereign God for giving me such a man.

No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It