Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lies Women Believe


Yesterday I listed the lies women believe from the mini-retreat I attended.  It was based on Nancy Leigh Demoss' book called Lies Women Believe.

As I listened to the sessions and began check-marking the lies that I found myself believing or tempted to believe lately, I was amazed at how many there were.  I need LOTS of work!  Here are some of the lies I caught in my own life:


*God is enough

I know He is intellectually, but so often I dwell on what I don't have (like a house) instead of Him


*God should fix my problems

I want instant relief from trials and hardship. 
But God is not a genie in a bottle, whose wish is my command.  So often my prayers revolve around pleas for help and for answers to my requests, instead of focusing on Him and what He is doing for His glory in my life.


*I cannot walk in consistent victory over sin. 

Time and time again of blowing it in a certain area can make you feel that you will never see progress or change.


*I can make it without consistent time in the Word and in prayer. 
I know this isn't true, but so often I allow the "urgent" demands of the day steal this time from me.


*I don't have time for everything I'm supposed to do! 

The truth is that I don't have time to do everything I want to do or that others want me to do, but I do have enough time to do what God asks of me.


*Children are a burden. 

While I would never say this to my friends, I do communicate this to my kids much of the time.  Frustration with the constant messes, irritation over having to stop my work to wipe a poopy bottom or get them the 100th thing for the day says to my kids that they are a burden and an inconvenience rather than a blessing and a joy.


*I can't forgive or love a difficult person in my life. 


*I can't help the way that I feel. 
I can't control my emotions.  I can't do what's right when my emotions are out of whack. 


*I just can't take anymore. 

(I caught myself saying this just a few days before the seminar when my hubby was working a 60-hour week and I was virtually a single parent all week long.



*If my circumstances were different
(like, if we had a home of our own, or didn't have to move again) I would be happier.



What lies do you find yourself
believing or living out in your life?

2 comments:

Peachtree said...

Oh, ouch! This is hitting close to home!

Heather said...

Some of those are applicable to me, too. Thanks for sharing this. :)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It