Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lies Women Believe



I had the priviledge of attending a mini-retreat on Saturday with my Mom at her church.  It was on "Lies Women Believe and The Truth That Sets Them Free."  We watched a few Nancy Leigh Demoss talks on this subject, had some good discussion, and had an excellent lunch and encouraging fellowship.  I came away feeling convicted of many of the lies I had been "buying into" and challenged by the Lord to think on the truth.  A couple of my good friends asked about what the lies were and I got to thinking that it would be good to post them so that all of my blogreaders could benefit.  Some are controversial and need to be taken in context. 

LIES WOMEN BELIEVE

1.  God is not really good.  If He were, He would.....
2.  God doesn't love me.
3.  God is just like my father.
4.  God is not really enough.
-God's Word is not really sufficient to deal with my problems.
-Someone/Something else can make me happier than God can.
5.  God's ways are too restrictive.
6.  God should fix my problems.
7.  I'm not worth anything.
8.  I can't help the way that I am.
9.  I have my rights.
10. Beauty is external and physical.
11. Physical beauty matters more than inner character.
12.  I should not have to live unfulfilled longings.
13.  It's okay to do whatever I need to do to get my needs met.
14.  This body of believers doesn't really need me.  I can just hide here.
15.  God can't forgive what I have done.
16.  My sins aren't really that bad.
17.  I can sin and get away with it.
      a.  I won't get what I deserve.
      b.  The choices I make today will not have consequences.
      c.  I can play with fire and not get burned.
18.  I am not responsible for my sinful choices and reactions.
19.  I cannot walk in victory over sin.
20.  I can make it without consistent time in the Word and prayer.
21.  A career outside the home is more valuable and fulfilling than being a wife and mother.
22.  I don't have time to do everything I am supposed to do!
23.  I have to have a husband to be happy.
24.  It's my responsibility to change my mate.
25.  Marriage should be a democracy.  Equal say.  Equal rule.
26.  My husband is supposed to serve me and make me happy.
27.  Both mates are responsible to provide for the family.
28.  If I submit to my husband, I will be miserable.
29.  If my husband is passive, then I've got to take the bull by the horns and do something.
30.  My marriage is hopeless.  It can never change.
31.  I'm better off getting a divorce than staying in an unhappy marriage.
32.  If my husband doesn't love and respect me, I have the right to leave him.
       (This is not referring to situations of abuse).
33.  If my husband isn't faithful to me, I am free from my vows.
34.  I should not have to put up with suffering in my marriage.
35.  If my husband were unfaithful to me I could never forgive him.
36.  I would be happier if I left my husband and married another man.
37.  We should determine the size of our family based on how many children we want, how many we think we can handle nad how many we think we can provide for.
38.  Children are a burden.
39.  All children will go through a rebellious state.
40.  If I weren't tied down by children I could do more to serve the Lord.
41.  We are not responsible for how our children turned out.
     (Not that this guarantees they will follow Christ or that we can be prideful in our children)
42.  Children need to get exposed to the real world so they can learn to function in it.
43.  I just can't forgive so and so.
44.  I just can't love so and so.
45.  I can't help so and so.  She needs a professional counselor.
46.  I can't help the way that I feel.  I can't control my emotions.
47.  My emotions area  reflection of the truth.  If I feel unloved, that means I am unloved.  If I feel alone, that means I am alone.
48.  It's understandable to act like a shrew at certain times.
49.  My depression is probably caused by a chemical imbalance.
 (Sometimes this is the case, but is often blamed when it is really spiritual depression)
50.  I can't do what's right when my emotions are out of whack.  Tiredness is not an excuse for carnality.
51.  If my circumstances were different, I would be different.
52.  I am a victim.  (Past offences, upbringing, circumstances)
53.  My circumstances will never change.  This will go on forever.
54.  I just can't take anymore.

Tomorrow I will share the lies that I really struggle with and the following day I will share the truth that replaces those lies we women believe.  Prayerfully read over this list and consider, "Which lies do I seem to be living out in my life?"  We may say we don't believe them consciously, but our actions speak louder than words.  We may say time in the Word is of utmost importance, but do we LIVE it?  Which lies are you LIVING OUT in your life right now?

2 comments:

Thia said...

Very interesting. I look forward to the other posts. Did she write a book of the same title?

the momma said...

I have that book ~ I need to re-read it...

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It