Monday, June 1, 2009

Hope for Weary Mamas--Learning to Fight

I haven't finished When You Don't Desire God yet but it is wonderful and deeper than deep! One thing I mentioned in my last post on this subject is that we truly have to be proactive against weariness. The subtitle of the book is How to Fight for Joy. It is a fight, not a stroll through a park. I made a list of the things I can do to fight against weariness in my last post, and yet, there will still be days when I feel weary. There will be days when the kids do incredibly irritating things, times they won't stop fighting or continually make messes, days when I face physical pain, tragedy, sleeplessness, or illness. There will be days when I am so busy with unexpected events that I can't seem to get to the bathroom let alone take my vitamins or drink enough water. Because I am a human being, saved, but still wrestling against the flesh, I will fail, fall, doubt, and give in to discouragement instead of standing strong in the fight. So, as much as I want to avoid being weary in my important role as a mama, I know that there will be plenty of temptation and opportunity to give in to weariness no matter what steps I take to avoid them.




A couple of weeks ago, my pastor read this verse from the pulpit and it struck me that God was speaking directly to me (a feeling I often get in church.)


"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28.



I started this series with a message about drawing near to the Lord and talking to yourself instead of listening to yourself. I end with this verse. In our weariness as moms of young kids, may we run to the Savior who promises rest.

No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It