Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Time Savers

I'm always looking for time savers so I welcome you to add your own favorite "Time Savers" to the list of ideas I'm compiling here.

Ideas for Saving Time:

*When my kids are taking a bath I usually try to scrub the toliet, clean the shower walls or straighten things on the vanity.
*I don't fold underwear! Why take the time when no one sees it and it takes up lots of time? Instead my daughter is trained to cart off the undie piles to the various owner's bins or drawers.
*Cook two meals at once. This week I made an elk roast in the crock pot for our favorite casserole, "Plowman's Share." I made twice the amount of rice and roast so that I could use the roast later this week for BBQ sandwiches and the rice for tonight's meal, Sherry Chicken.
*I prefer clothing bins over drawers. We still have a few dressers, but my goal is to weed out our dressers and instead just use attractive, cloth-lined baskets to hold all of our clothing in our closets. Bins make things much faster when you are putting stacks of clothing away. Dressers are nice for some things, but for my main clothes I like the bin idea. My daughter can choose her own clothes and pajamas out of the bins too.
*When watching a movie I try to clip coupons, mend, or do another mindless project.
*When talking on the phone do some cleaning or picking up.
*Clump your errands together so you can get a bunch done at the same time on the same side of town and save yourself the gas and time of going out multiple times.
*Make up a big pot of pregnancy tea or ginger tea and store in a pitcher so that I don't have to brew a cup a couple of times a day. I can't tell you how many times King Jo has "accidentally" grabbed a glass, thinking it was apple juice and gone, "Uhhhggg!" (He thinks P. Tea tastes like hay--which it does since it's made from alfalfa!)
*Cook several pounds of hamburger at once and freeze in 1 lb. portions. I also do this with beans. Make a couple of pounds at once and then freeze. This will save both time and heating energy.

I'm sure there are lots more ideas I use that I can't think of right now. So, please help me out and contribute to my Time Saving List!

2 comments:

Mx5 said...

I found a great time saving tip, although it means I have to get up earlier than I want ;-)

I get up on Sundays about 45 minutes before the rest of the family, so I can get completely ready for church. Once I'm ready, I get all 5 of my kids up - and pastor hubby - and while they're getting ready for church, I straighten up the house in case we have visitors after service... which we usually do.

I'm not a perfect housekeeper by any means, and I do run a loose ship (except for character issues) but I love the freedom of being able to invite a family or my kids' friends over after church and not have to worry about the house being a disaster area.

LS said...

What a great idea Mx5! You must be one busy mama to be a pastor's wife and mother of 5!
Since our house tends to just explode into messes on weekends for some reason, this would be a great plan for me to implement!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It