Wednesday, September 26, 2007

HomeSchooling Ali



This month, I've decided to start homeschooling Ali! What? She's only 2!!! Let me explain. Obviously, she's been "schooled" from birth as she learned new words, listened to stories, learned to sing songs, etc. She's constantly building on her skills and helping me around the house more. So, even if I wasn't doing little activities with her, she would still be "home schooled" in a way. Since reading the Biblical Womanhood blog a lot, I've come to realize that kids are never too young to be schooled and that technically, I'm a homeschooling mom even now, not just when my kids reach Kindergarten age. So, what does school look like?

There are the obvious things we do:

*Morning routines

*Devotions/Bible reading/singing/praying

*Helping Mama pick up toys and throw dirty laundry in the hamper

*Helping baby brother by getting him toys or getting his sippy out of the fridge

*Cleaning up messes she makes

*Play dates or going to the park

*Riding scooters, bikes, going for stroller walks

*Coloring pictures

*Role-play with toys, her little kitchen and food, her baby dolls, etc.


This fall, my homeschooling for Ali will also include a few added projects.


Monday: Extra Bible Stories Day (more reading than the norm)


Tuesday: Art Project Day (watercolors, clay, learning to cut with scissors)


Wednesday: History or Non-Fiction Reading Day


Thursday: Alphabet Day


Friday: Spanish Day


These activities may only take 5 minutes, or may stretch into an hour or two depending on interests. I figure that if Ali is a little sponge, soaking up tons of info right now, it will be good for her to have some structured time for learning with Mama. Little Jer is always learning too and his homeschooling consists of learning baby sign language, singing and Devotions, and reading stories. His sister tries to "school" him by teaching him the things I've taught her and repeating words to him!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I think what you're doing is wonderful. Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to get onto more of a schedule with Isaac for his good now and in anticipation of being a future homeschooling family, we hope.

Our Home to Yours said...

This sounds so great Lindsey!
I have been kind of frustrated at Leah's seeming "inablilty" of knowing how to do all these things, and I finally figured out I just need to show her!!! I love the schedule, and ideas of things to do with Ali.. great idea starter for me! Way to go!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It