Friday, September 14, 2007

Frugal Friday Tip











Sorry to those of you friends who have already heard about these shoes! But to those of you coming over from Biblical Womanhood to see my tip, here it is:



Instead of buying Robeez soft-soled leather shoes for $30 a pair, MAKE THEM YOURSELF! Go to the website http://www.makethemyourself.com/ and you can buy patterns for various kinds of shoes and other craft projects for moms to do. I bought one pattern packet (size 3 and 4) and with shipping it cost me $6.50. It is well worth it since I've already made twenty pairs and will continue to make these shoes throughout my life! And it supports a work-at-home mom's business! You can find the leather at yard sales and thrift stores by cutting up old purses or leather clothing and I've even found some decent stuff at Hobby Lobby in the leather scrap section (just make sure to get the thin leather, not too thick). You can design your own appliques or buy the easy-to-sew on embroidered appliques from Wal-Mart or Ben Franklin's. I've done both. I estimate that it costs me about $1-3 to make a pair depending on the appliques I use. This makes for a super-nice baby gift for a great price! These shoes are the best shoes for babies since they are comfy, they stay on, and they are great for babies learning to walk. Experiment to your heart's desire with all sorts of shapes and colors and styles! I take my kids to Library Story Time and I'll often see 10 other babies there with fancy Robeez shoes. Many people will come up and say, "I love your son's Robeez! Those are so cute!" Imagine their surprise when I say, "I made them!" I've gotten this comment so many times. It only takes about one or two hours max to make a pair and it gets easier and easier the more you make. I am not a professional seamstress, but I have a basic machine and the pattern only has 5 small pieces to it. You don't need special needles for your machine, although for thicker leather pieces, I sometimes use a thicker needle. You can use regular thread, but quilting thread works really well. If you want adorable, practical shoes for your baby or to make for gifts, check out this site today! Here are some pics of some of my best pairs:

5 comments:

Chris, Tasha, Dawson & Lainey said...

The Roobeez look alike are great!! I love them! I would like to work on some of these this winter. Even nice for older kids to use as slipers inside this winter!! We have hardwood floors and can tend to get chilly!

Yes, in response to your comment on my blog...I actually went to Heartland with Josiah long ago, but I think we only had one or two years. Didn't know him well though, you know how kids are at that 5th grade age...you don't talk too much to boys!! :-)

Love your blog! We got to EFree, so I have seen you.

Have a Great Weekend!!

Meredith said...

You are amazing!!! 20 pairs already...wow.

Stephanie Appleton said...

Oh those are really cool!

Our Home to Yours said...

I LOVE your Robeez shoes, Lindsey! I know I am so detail challenged it won't work for me to make my own, though! :) But what a great side business for you! I would LOVE to buy some smaller pairs for the new baby... Let me know if you are doing that! :) I'm thinking boy shoes... lol But I have no idea. These are just super baby shoes! Leah LOVED hers and wore them until they were too small. Keep up the great work!

Lyndi said...

those are great! what a great money making idea! they look very professional:) cayden is not yet into the ones he has, (my mother-in-law got some from a garage sale.)

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It