Tuesday, October 11, 2011

2 Weeks of "Eating My Frogs."

I've been inspired by the many blogs online who are doing 31 Day Projects this month.  There are lots of great ones!  I've decided that even though nearly half of the month is gone, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and tackle some unfinished projects.  This will give you, my friends and readers, opportunity to see what tasks I avoid like the plague.  "Eating your frog" seems to be the current way to say:  Stop procrastinating and tackle the worst jobs first!


So, here is my list of 10 things I've been putting off, whether intentionally, or because I have so much going already that it's hard to prioritize them, that I want to get done before the crazy holiday season starts:


1.  Mending (I have 5-10 things that have been sittting in a pile for......far too long...)


2.  Paperwork--every year I have to fill out some paperwork that involves copying all of our SS cards and driver's licenses and answering tons of questions and photocopying our taxes, etc.  I hate it and always put it off, but not this year!


3.  Painting--My kitchen still has a corner that I didn't finish because I ran out of paint.  I now have the paint, but haven't made the time.  I want to at least finish up the kitchen and hallway before winter.


4.  Mail charitable contributions--Though it sounds horrible that I would procrastinate doing this, it all goes back to hating paying bills and paperwork.   It's not intentional, and some things like our child sponsorship are automatic electronic transfer thankfully!  The money is there and ready to be given, but before you know it, months have passed and I've forgotten to write and send the check.  So people like my brother, who is a missionary with CEF, get 4 fat checks a year instead of a monthly small check.


5. Organize Photo Files---This task all by itself is incredibly daunting because of the volume of photos I shoot.  So, I'm breaking it into 2 parts.  #1:  Delete unwanted photos.


6.  Photo Files #2--Sort pics into folders.  I'm 18 months behind in doing this.  That may not sound like much, but that translates into about 200 folders behind and about 5,000 photos that need to be organized.


7.  Go through the sock bin and match and fold socks.


8.  Get my hair cut.  I usually just have my hubby trim it, but even finding a time to do that seems hard since I have to actually get a shower first to wet my hair and do it during the time he is home and we aren't rushing off to church.  I know some women are gasping at the thought of putting off something as important as their hair, but with 4 young kids and homeschooling, that's where I find myself!


9.  Biking on the exercise bike for 20 minutes or more each day.  With winter approaching, our frequent family bike rides and walks to the park, hikes, etc. are going to disappear.  I'm not an exercise-person that gets a big rush out of exercising.  For me, it always feels like work, and in a busy life, it's the first thing that gets cut out.  But, it is a great way to continue healing from PPD and get back in shape after baby, so I need to do it.  So, I'd like to stop putting it off!


10.  Taking my fish oil vitamin daily. It smells weird and is huge, and with tons of vitamins to take each day, it's almost always "put off."  But, I have noticed a huge difference when I am faithfully taking my evening primrose and fish oil vitamins.  So, I want to get back on track with taking this one....gag....


I have found blogging to be an excellent way to stay accountable over the years, so this is why I'm sharing my 10 Frogs with you all.  I will post a brief synopsis each time a frog is "eaten."  I'm going to put each of these things on my Cozi schedule and try to get to one each day or every other day.  I would love it if some of you decided to join me!  If you do, let me know what you plan to tackle in the comments section.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi Lindsay! I hate my fish oil vitamin too, but if you just throw the whole bottle in the freezer and swallow them frozen each day, you don't taste them going down and they thaw way down in your stomach so you don't get the icky fish-tasting burps (sorry - ick). :)

Heather said...

It is fun to see what others are putting off. :) I still haven't made out our thank you notes from all the meals & gifts when Christian was born. I wanted to print a "Thanks from Christian" on a photo, but I'm not sure anymore which software to use and how to do it. . .so 2 months later, I feel a bit rude that I haven't thanked these people! Hopefully you'll inspire me to tackle this!

Good luck on your projects!

Thia said...

Mending would mean you need time to sit down. Mine piles up like that too, then I have to let something else go so I can get it done.

LS said...

Thank you for the great tip Stacy! I'll give it a try!


I totally understand Heather! It is soooo hard to get to thank-you notes when one has a new baby. I put them off for the longest time with Kate and didn't even work on them until after my doctor had treated me for PPD. It's like I had a mental block against them.

Thia, I snagged a little time during their rest time after lunch when they were all laying down in their rooms. I watched TV and mended.

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It