Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Closing Down the Zoo--Revisiting My Priorities


As I took the time last week to think over life and de-stress from a very busy summer thus far, I realized I needed to go through my priorities again and evaluate whether or not my current life schedule was lining up with my BIG life goals.


My main priorities are:


GOD


HUSBAND


KIDS


CHURCH/FRIENDS/MINISTRY



Then I sat down and made a list of things that I am currently doing or can do to live out my priorities.


GOD

Prayer, personal Bible study, Reading excellent books on theology/living for God, Ladies Bible Study, prayer with my hubby, being faithful in the roles God has given me as a wife and mother, attending church, etc.


HUSBAND

Time to communicate, good food to eat, clean spoons (he doesn't care if the dishes aren't all done but hates if there aren't any clean spoons!), somewhat straightened house, clean work clothes, snacks he enjoys in the house, romance, encouragement, etc.


KIDS

Training/Correcting all day long, feeding, washing, reading to, cuddling, talking to, teaching, laundry, etc.


CHURCH/FRIENDS/MINISTRY

Teaching my kid's Sunday School class in July, counseling a friend going through a difficult time, sending cards of encouragement, helping friends where I can, e-mailing, blogging, facebooking to stay in touch with loved ones and point others to Christ, staying connected with Mom friends, etc.




Just listing priorities and ways to accomplish those priorities is so helpful!

Next, it's good to sit down with your planner or calendar and just survey what activities are filling up your days or chunks of time. Which activities don't line up with your target priorities? What things can you cut back so that you CAN pursue your main priorities?



Putting this all down on paper opens your eyes to the things in your day that are LESS necessary that may be taking time away from things that are MORE necessary. I was reminded again that the biggest part of my day should be about God and I should not ever feel guilty about taking time to nuture that relationship and help it to grow. Secondly, I should be looking for ways to grow closer to and bless my husband. This is really hard to do during this stage of parenthood and take lots of effort; it doesn't just happen. Thirdly, I need to be caring for my children's needs for love, training, food, and clothing, and then finally, using any extra time and energy to bless my friends, serve in my church, minister to the lost, etc.



Next Post:

A list of the GOOD things in my life that need to be put on hold right now so I can chase the BEST things



No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It