Friday, March 16, 2012

March Challenge--Healthy Eating Menu--Week Three



I'm loving this eating challenge!  It's been fun, and I'm finding that I feel so much more satisfied on healthier foods.  In all honesty, we aren't making enormous changes in doing this challenge.  We didn't eat terribly before, so switching to more organic foods or cutting out a few processed foods like crackers/granola bars etc. for snacks hasn't been that hard.  But, I am making a more concious effort to know what we are eating, know where our food has come from, and to cut out artificial colors and dyes.  I'm realizing again how little of the food in the grocery store is actually real food! 


One thing I would NOT recommend:  kelp pancakes!  A friend and I did a green picnic in honor of St. Patrick's Day being tomorrow and I tried to dye the whole wheat pancakes I made with kelp powder since I didn't have liquid chlorophyll handy.  Though I added more honey to cover the kelp taste, they still tasted funky and only half of the 8 kids ate them.  I can't say I blame them, I didn't like them myself! 


Breakfasts:

Cereal (Arrowhead Mills Puffed Rice, Homemade Granola or Cheerios) x 5
Organic 9-Grain toasted or made into French Toast x2


Lunches:

Leftovers
Sandwiches with organic PB and raw local honey
Quesadillas made with ww tortillas and mozzarella cheese


Snacks:

Fruits/Veggies from Bountiful Baskets
Bread and Butter
Popcorn (popped in a pan over the kitchen stove)


Dinners:

Quinoa and Veggies Stir-Fry
Whole Wheat Pasta with Spaghetti sauce, organic garlic bread
Chicken and Vegetable Bulgur Stew, whole wheat biscuits
Wild Rice Chicken Casserole (with wild rice my in-laws brought out last week from MN!)
Whole Wheat Pizza with Vegetable toppings and fresh green salad
Fish fillets, steamed veggies, baked potatoes
Leftovers



Next week, when I report back I will try to include a cost break-down so you can see what I spent on the meals listed above!




No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It