Monday, January 24, 2011

Date Night


I like to dance.  Be it country swing, line dancing, waltzing, or whatever, I enjoy it.  That's not to say I'm any good or that I know what I'm doing.  But that doesn't stop me.
Upon getting married, I was excited to finally have a dance partner.  After years of choosing not to date around and not going to High School dances, etc. I thought this was my chance!  But alas, my husband does not like to dance!  I did get him to attend a homeschool ball in MT with my relatives once when Ali was a baby and I can usually get him to do one dance with me at a wedding, but he is very stubborn about the subject.  I usually end up dancing with my dad or one of my kids.
So, I was delighted to discover this weekend that although he absolutely will not dance with me in public, Josiah will dance at home!  After beating me at Yahtzee, he let me choose how I wanted to be served (thanks to my poor-loser attitude and the fact that he wins most board games we play we came up with the rule a decade ago that whoever wins has to serve the loser in some way, like doing a chore for them, giving them a massage, etc.) 
I chose dancing around the living room to Sinatra.  We pulled the blinds lest the neighbors be out on a cold, winter night peeping through the windows, turned the lights down low, put on an internet radio channel for Sinatra and Louis Armstrong and had a blast!  And because we live with 4 little people, make that 4 MESSY, little people, we danced upon Duplo blocks and little socks, and tried not to trip over toys and dress-ups strewn about. 
We've always had a Friday night "date night in" to watch movies together but this year one of my goals is to spice up Date Night a little bit.  To get out of the rut of just watching movies together, although we enjoy a good movie.  If anyone has any bright ideas, please share them with me!  Watching a good friend's marriage fall apart has made me realize how blessed I am and how much I don't want to take my marriage for granted.

4 comments:

Feliz4life said...

how sweet! we have a pretty strict budget, but we are always faithful about date night. Sometime we just like to go to local shops and see what our town has to offer. sometimes we will grab a cup of starbucks and just walk and talk. we also like to cook new things together when we are home alone. We vary between things we like to do and things we don't like...cause even if we hate it at least we can come togtether in saying how much we disliked an outing!:)

Melody said...

This post was great! I enjoyed it very much for my husband and yours have the no dancing thing in common and you and I have the love to dance thing in common. But, like you I have discovered that he will dance, albeit a little bit, in the privacy of our home. And I really enjoy those moments a song will come on and we are in the kitchen together cooking or whatever and we will randomly start dancing around. My kids, who are teens, will be like yuck but, I know that we are setting an example for them in all we do for each other so they know what a healthy marriage should be like. I make sure to tell him how much I enjoy those little things, to be sure he keeps it up :) And I agree with you that it is sometimes, most times the daily little things in life that creates the bond to keep a marriage alive when tough times come. Just spending time, serving each other in the daily grind, loving each other especially when you feel like they he/she don't deserve it. Watching marriages fall apart is a very emotionally wrenching thing. But, I have found that like you it causes me to be more aware of my spouse and the way that I treat him. A marriage should be top priority in a couples life, over everything except God.

I really enjoy your blog. Your children are such cuties. Hope you are having a great day!

Lea said...

We have a Saturday night date night at home 3 weeks a month and a Friday night date night out thanks to free childcare at our church! It makes such a difference!

Simply Modern Mom did a date night project last year and I got many good ideas for at-home date nights from it. You can find it at
www.simplymodernmom.com/category/project-52

Thanks for the sweet post and the encouragement! My hubby doesn't dance either (even though we took dance lessons before our wedding!). I hadn't even thought of dancing at home!

Lea

The Three 22nds said...

We really like games, so when we have time together we will often play a board game. We watch movies too, but it is less fun because 80% of the time I fall asleep :) I always stay awake to win a game!

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It