Thursday, August 16, 2007

One Last Letter

Grant, Colter, Jer and I at the funeral

A photo board of Grandpa's life I helped design


Dear Grandpa C.,



If I could write you one last letter to you, this is what it would say:



It was my priviledge to be your granddaughter. Cousin after cousin stood up and said this in the eulogy today and I, too, feel it with all my heart. When Jason stood up and said you were a Hero Grandfather it resonated deep within me. You were definitely a hero to me and the very definition of what a Grandfather and a Hero is. When Raine talked about all the memories of us at the cabin, it brought the best things to mind. She said she will always see "Wyoming" as Grandpa. How fitting for a rugged, but gentle, outdoorsman/cowboy/soldier/builder/fisherman.

I know it was your time to go and I am so glad you no longer have to sit looking out the window, wishing you were independent and active again. I'm glad you are reunited with Grandma after 21 years apart and the many loved ones who have gone before you. Even though I hated seeing your pain, I will miss bringing the kids to see you and your presence in our lives which has been a rock throughout my entire life. Even when you could no longer do much the last few months of your life, you could still love us, and smile, and enjoy our company, and tease the kids with your remote control dog! You loved Alathia's big brown eyes and always commented on them and you often held little Jeremiah, pleased that he would smile up at you. You were very positive and never complained in any situation. You had a mind as sharp as a tack until nearly the end of your life and I just know I got my love for reading from you (as well as my stubborness and my love for dessert!)

I was never in doubt how you felt about me or anyone else in your family, because you weren't afraid to tell us that you loved us. I loved you so much and will cherish your memory throughout my lifetime. I will always be thankful that I had this time with you where we were back in Wyoming and you lived close enough for us to visit you often. In the blink of an eye, I'll be there at the Heavenly Hoedown. So build me a mansion right next to yours!

"Lindsey Linds"



Until we meet again!

No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It