Monday, August 13, 2007

Goodbye Grandpa



Yesterday one of the neatest men I have ever known left this earthly life. My Grandpa, Don Campbell, almost 92 years of age, is now at peace in Heaven after being in a nursing home for 4 or 5 months watching his body decline. I prayed that he would go soon because it hurt me to see him suffering and struggling to breathe and be inactive and lethargic when I've always known him as one of the most indepent and industrious of people. But it's still difficult to know that we can't go visit him "one last time" and that he won't smile and chuckle watching Ali and Jeremiah play with him anymore. I thank the Lord that we had some special time together where I was able to visit him often. I thank the Lord that we have some confirmation (though he was very private about his faith) that he was a believer and knew where he was going.

Thank you Grandpa for spoiling me rotten all those years and showing me an example of what a gentleman should be. You used to feed me green grapes in my high chair and let me dig in your pockets for Doublemint gum. You let us watch your John Wayne movies and cartoons, but you also taught us to work in the garden with you and play outside. You always made us lovely breakfasts at the cabin and you helped us cut down a Christmas Tree each Christmas eve up until 10 years ago. You bought me my first horse, a little Shetland named Justin Joseph, when I was only 5. You were a wonderful carpenter and made many of the churches and businesses in this county, including wooden handicrafts and gifts for all your family. You gave a lot of down-and-outers a chance and were generous to a fault. You served your country to preserve our freedom in WWII and you raised a young son and daughter alone when your first wife deserted you. You touched the lives of many, many people and you will be greatly, greatly missed.

No comments:

Pin It
Pin It
Pin It